1 Reply Latest reply on May 25, 2011 1:44 PM by philmodjunk

multiple layouts requiring a different sort order for each

Jeannine

Title

multiple layouts requiring a different sort order for each

Hi there...beginner/intermediate user in need of assistance. FM 6.0v2 on XP Pro SP3.

Can each layout within one file have its own sort order? Two layouts (used for reports) are sorted by year, month, week of year, date, item code. But I have one layout (also for reporting) that needs to be main operator, year, month, week of year, date, item code. There is only one layout containing the data needed for all reports.

My boss set this up a long time ago, as you can see by the FM version LOL. I am in the process of revising a cloned file to accomodate the needs of other departments (billing, inventory, etc.). Because there will be several users that have no FM training, I need buttons and scripts to do the work.

Any help would be appreciated! TIA

• 1. Re: multiple layouts requiring a different sort order for each
          philmodjunk

Back when I was using FileMaker 5.5, I'd put a button bar of navigation buttons across the top of the layout with buttons to perform scripts that both changed layouts and also performed any needed find or sort required to present the data on that layout in the form it needed to be presented. I'd either hid and lock the status area or remove the layouts from the layout drop down so the users couldn't change layouts without also clicking the buttons.

In some cases, the button script would take the user to an intermediate layout where they'd specify search and sort criteria before clicking another button to get to the layout.