AnsweredAssumed Answered

Multiple lookups from same serial number field , pulling serial numbers script and goto record...

Question asked by MichaelAngelo on Jul 12, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 15, 2014 by MichaelAngelo

Title

Multiple lookups from same serial number field , pulling serial numbers script and goto record linking

I'm very new to Filemaker Pro so please excuse any improper use of terminology or syntax. I preplanned my database as recommended, have built the basic layouts, have already entered some basic data with much success but still have a couple questions if I may. Here’s the structure for my Dbase, pretty simple so far:

CONTACTS LAYOUT

- Each record has a unique Contact ID with "Auto-enter Serial Number"

- Each record contains contact info, type of contact check boxes, Projects ID numbers, Projects titles and some notes

- As it stands now there are fields to manually enter " Projects ID Numbers" and titles

PROJECTS LAYOUT

- Each Projects record has a unique Projects ID with "Auto-enter Serial Number"

- Each Projects record via validation requires the user to enter the Contact ID for the Projects lead

- Once the Contact ID for the Projects lead is entered there are "Look Ups" in place that fill the minimal contact info

- As it stands now there are fields to manually enter " Additional Contact ID Numbers and their minimum info"

- Each record contains Projects title, description, Projects type check boxes, Projects lead contact with minimum info, additional contacts with minimum info and some notes

There's much more to the Dbase, but in the sake of simplicity you get the idea. When I create a new Projects record and enter the Contact ID for the Projects lead, the "Look Ups" cause their info to auto enter, wonderful. If I change their contact records it will update in the Projects record, great. So here are my questions

QUESTION #1

MULTIPLE CONTACTS IN THE SAME PROJECTS RECORD

I created a relationship between the Projects Layout and Contact layout Contact IDs by going into layout mode, copying the Contact ID from the Contact layout then pasting it into the Projects Layout. Then in the Manage Database/Relationships menu I linked the two fields. The trick is I want to have DIFFERENT Contact IDs in the same Projects record and have it "Look Up" the unique contact info associated with each different Contact ID. When I copied the Contact IDs multiple times into the Projects layout of course all that did was repeat the same data in all the Contact ID fields. I'm not really sure how to proceed to have multiple unique contact IDs and their associated info all in one Projects record.

QUESTION #2

CONTACT LAYOUT AUTO FILLING PROJECTS IDS

As it stands now we manually enter the Projects IDs and Projects Titles that any given contact is associated with into each Contact record. There is much room for error and I am wondering if there is a way to create a field in the contact record that looks at all the Projects records, sees if the contact is on a specific record in both the Projects lead and additional contacts fields and if so lists ALL the Projects IDs associated with that contact ID. Bonus points if it can pull Projects titles too.

QUESTION #3

CLICKING ON AN ID HAVING IT LINK TO A RECORD

The last challenge I'm trying to solve is when looking at a Projects record, I'd like to be able to double click the Contact ID or click on a button and have FMP take the user to that contact record either in a new window or if need be in the current window, setting this up for both the Projects lead contact ID  and the additional contacts IDs,. This would also work in reverse ie being in a contact record, clicking on one of the Projects IDs (preferably from the list in question #2) or a button and having it take you to the appropriate Projects record.

Thanks in advance for any help with all of this.

Thank you

MA

project_REF.jpg

Outcomes