1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 25, 2013 8:19 AM by philmodjunk

Multiple origins and destinations through portals

Max_1

Title

Multiple origins and destinations through portals

Hi all,

I am trying to accomplish a ‘tracking’ system for products.

For easier reference this is a possible scenario: Product A’ is in ‘Shanghai’ in ‘China’ in the area ‘Far East’ on the ‘17th July’ and will be delivered to ‘Barcelona’ in ‘Spain’ in the area ‘Med’ on the ‘28th July’

Two tables whereas the ‘Locations’ table is linked to the ‘Products’ table and I managed the basic functionality though a portal, but I am having difficulties when it comes to variations of the described scenario above. For instance I might not have the city where the product will be delivered to, but only the country or sometimes only the area. Further the origin of the product might be limited to the country only.

When I select 'Shanghai' the values 'China' and 'Far East' are obvious, but when the only information 'China' is available it does not mean the 'City' will be Shanghai, hence would I want the field to be blank, same when selecting the area only.

My initial idea was to work with invisible fields and lookups, like this: 

If ‘City’ is empty then unhide the dropdown lookup field ‘lookup_countries’ on top of the portal field, but doubt I am heading the right way with that ?

Every idea is appreciated.

Thanks again

Max

Screen_Shot_2013-06-25_at_3.42.57_PM.png

• 1. Re: Multiple origins and destinations through portals
          philmodjunk

Area contains countries contains cities....

I'd be inclined to have the user select the Area, then the country, then the city--stopping when there is nothing further to specify. Each selection can be part of a hierarchical conditional value list where each choice filters the avialable values in the next field's value list.

Example: Select Med in the area field and the list of countries filters down to just countries from the Mediterranian area. Select Spain and the list of cities narrows dow to cities in Spain.

Here are some links on conditional value lists and the last one discusses hierarchical conditional value lists...

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in FileMaker 12.

The last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.