3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2009 1:41 PM by TSGal

Multiple Page Breaks - Blank pages

bobrogers

Title

Multiple Page Breaks - Blank pages

<!--  StartFragment  -->I’m having problems with blank pages (no records) showing up preview in a layout with multiple page breaks and multiple summary parts t in FM9.  I’ve recreated the scenario in a brand new test DB to make sure the existing db was not damaged.  Problem still exists.  I have 5 fields, 4 of them summary parts.  All above the body.  The first 3 have “Page Break before..” selected, the fourth no page break, just a summary.  The fifth field is in a body part.  I proprogate the fields with test data, 6 or so records. Sorted by all fields in order of the part creation.  When previewing I get at blank page (no body record), for each of the first two summaries, then a regular page with sum groupings for all along with body records.

As I play back an forth with select Page Break before vs after I sometimes can get different results, such as only one blank page with summary of the first two parts and then a page with summaries and records.  But I never get my desired results, no blank pages.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts.

Bob
      <!--  EndFragment  -->

• 1. Re: Multiple Page Breaks - Blank pages
          TSGal

Bob Rogers:

Thank you for your post.

If the first three parts have "Page Break before" selected, then you will have the first sub-summary on the first page.  When you encounter the second sub-summary, it will start on the second page, since that is what you checked.  Then, as the third sub-summary is encountered, it will start on the third page, since you also checked the option to page break before the occurrence.  You may want to consider only placing the Page Break before for the first sub-summary.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Multiple Page Breaks - Blank pages
            bobrogers

Thanks TSGal,

Doesn't seem to be working.  I've set the first to Before and the rest to After. I still get a summary only page, no body records.  I've tried converting them, moving them after the body part.  

I think I found the answer.  I've taken away the page breaks on all except the last summary part.   The theory is, page breaking on the last summary part should force a break for all summary parts sorted before the last summary part.  It appears to be working.  What do you think?

Bob 

• 3. Re: Multiple Page Breaks - Blank pages
              TSGal

Bob Rogers:

Glad that you got it working.

Note:  If you set the others to "After", then it will skip to the next page after that sub-summary part.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.