5 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2013 11:07 PM by philmodjunk

Multiple Password Protected Signature on 1 Record

danielmarc

Title

Multiple Password Protected Signature on 1 Record

Hi,

I am trying to create a solution for password protected signatures in my database. The signature itself can just be the persons name but it has to be password protected. I currently have two tables each in their own file. One we can call "Form" and the other "Password Directory". Password directory has fields: User ID, Password, Signature. Form has fields User1, Password1, Signature1. User1 and Password1 are entered via custom dialog box. The calculation I currently have for Signature1 is:

If(User1=Password Directory::User ID and Password1=Password Directory::Password;Password Directory::Signature;"Incorrect User ID or Password")

I have the tables linked by User1=User ID. This solution currently works fine. The problem is I need multiple signature on the same record. I added the fields User2, Password2, Signature2 to "Forms" with the calculation for Signature2:

If(User2=Password Directory::User ID and Password2=Password Directory::Password;Password Directory::Signature;"Incorrect User ID or Password")

I kept the relationship the same. When I enter different user credentials into user2,password2 I get the "Incorrect User ID or Password" message in signature2 even though it was entered correctly. It only works if the user information is the same for both user1 and user2. I have tried changing the relationships and the calculation but can not get it to work for two different signatures on one record. Sorry for the long post I hope it is somewhat intelligible. Thanks for any help I really appreciate it.

Daniel

• 1. Re: Multiple Password Protected Signature on 1 Record
          ElishreeDey

Hello Danie,

It seems above you want to store multiple Signatures for the same user

So your Table1 will be user table where you need to store UserID_pk, UserName and Password

And Table2 will be UserSignatures where you need to store the Signature and the UserID_fk

And the matching key between Table1 and Table2 is by UserID_pk = UserID_fk. So you can create multiple signatures stored in Table2 for a specific User in Table1.

Thanks Elishree
               FileMaker 11 Certified Developer
               Senior Software Engineer
               MindfireSolutions
               http://www.mindfiresolutions.com/

• 2. Re: Multiple Password Protected Signature on 1 Record
            philmodjunk

This looks like something that could be managed through Filemaker's accounts and passwords instead of creating your own password system. You can use FileMaker's account name/password system to limit each user's access to specific records--such as their signature record(s).

See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a description of how to set this up.

• 3. Re: Multiple Password Protected Signature on 1 Record
              danielmarc

Hi Elishree,

Thanks for your quick reply. I didnt explain that part well. I need multiple signatures on one record for different users. So one user could enter their credentials in fields user1 and password1 and if correct it would place their signature in signature1. Then a different user could enter their credentials in fields user2 and password2 and if correct it would place their signature in signature 2. Both on the same record. Hope this helps. Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Multiple Password Protected Signature on 1 Record
                danielmarc

Phil,

Thanks that actually answers a different question I had as I will need to restrict access to records but I still need to capture the signatures on the form itself. Basically, different users will fill out different sections of a form and they need to sign the portion of the form they completed. Or there might be a form where 3 different people are required to sign for approval. We need to capture the signatures as evidence and they have to be password protected to be compliant.

• 5. Re: Multiple Password Protected Signature on 1 Record
                  philmodjunk

And that password protection can be set up via Manage | security so that the only signature that they can select is their own. Joe Smith can't sign the document as June Jones because he can't access her "signature" record.