3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2010 2:09 PM by philmodjunk

Multiple portal issue

ScottNikiel

Title

Multiple portal issue

I have 2 tables I want to view from my main table via portals. I have different portals set up for each of my peripheral tables, however whenever I click my button to add a new record in one of the other tables, the second will add a new record as well... It seems as if they are linked somehow because if I try to delete one, the other will disappear as well. I realize that I didn't express this particularly eloquently, but any insight would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Multiple portal issue
          philmodjunk

What script is set up for your "add a record" button?

Exactly, step by step, how did you delete one of these records?

Off hand, it sounds like both portals refer to the same data source table (a table defined in Manage | Database | Tables) and may also refer to the same table occurrence (the boxes found in Manage | Database | relationships).

Double Click each portal while in layout mode and check to see what's listed in the "show records from" box. The list of names in this drop down are the names of the table occurrences you have defined in Manage | Database | Relationships.

• 2. Re: Multiple portal issue
            ScottNikiel

On of my add record buttons executes the following script:
            Set Varaible [$ID_Contact; Value:Contact Management::k_ID_Contact] (contact management being my main table and k_ID_Contact being my default ID number associated with a given record in my main table)
            Freeze Window
            Go to Layout ["mem1_utility" (Donations)] (mem1_utility being my layout that contains the Donations table)
            Set Field [Donations::kf_ID_Contact; $ID_Contact] (kf_ID_Contact being the ID number in the Donations table)
            Commit Records/Requests [Skip data entry validation; No dialog]
            Go to Layout ["Record Detail" (Contact Management)]
            Go to Object [Object Name: "exhibition fund"] (exhibition fund being the name of the portal in this case)
            Go to Field [Donations::mem_cuam_exhibition_fund] (the name of the field that I want to show and edit in my portal)

I have a button that is set to run a "delete portal row" script, but I don't see anywhere to designate it to a specific portal.

I looked to make sure, but each of the two portals have different designated source tables (the above example being Donations), which is why I'm so confused.

• 3. Re: Multiple portal issue
              philmodjunk

Seems like your add a record script is missing a very important step:

Set Varaible [$ID_Contact; Value:Contact Management::k_ID_Contact]
              Freeze Window
              Go to Layout ["mem1_utility" (Donations)]
              New Record/Request
              Set Field [Donations::kf_ID_Contact; $ID_Contact]
              Commit Records/Requests [Skip data entry validation; No dialog]
              Go to Layout ["Record Detail" (Contact Management)]
              Go to Object [Object Name: "exhibition fund"]
              Go to Field [Donations::mem_cuam_exhibition_fund]

But perhaps you just left that out of your post by accident.

"I have a button that is set to run a "delete portal row" script, but I don't see anywhere to designate it to a specific portal."

If the delete button is on a portal row in each portal, you probably do not need to designate the portal as the mouseclick that starts up the script activates the portal and row to be deleted.

You haven't described the second portal nor how your three tables are related. There might be a clue somewhere in that info.