4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2011 11:36 AM by zosodp

Multiple Portals on Same Layout different filters

zosodp

Title

Multiple Portals on Same Layout different filters

I am working on a database for use by the collegiate bowling program that I am a coach for. The database contains 2 tables. The first table contains the bowler names and cumulative statistical information. The second table contains the detail information we are collecting for each frame the bowler bowls. The tables both contain the bowler name so there is a relationship setup for that.

Everything I need to do is currently working but I wanted to create a layout that contained a portal for each bowler showing the last 10 frames they bowled along with information from the detail table. I am not 100% finished, but I have everything figured out but this one thing.

I cannot figure out how to setup the portals so each one only shows information for a single bowler.

I have extensive experience with Microsoft Access and know how to do it there but I cannot figure out a way to do it in Filemaker.

Basically, I want Portal 1 to show bowler 1, Portal 2 to show bowler 2, etc (there can be up to 8 bowlers). The names of the bowlers can change from event to event, so I cannot hardcode the names in the portal filter.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Multiple Portals on Same Layout different filters
          philmodjunk

We need to know how you have currently related your two tables.

If you have a relationship like this:

Bowlers::BowlerID = Details::BowlerID

You can set up a list view layout of your bowlers on a layout based on Bowlers with a portal to Details in the body. If you can set up a sort order that sorts the most recent frames to the top of your portal, you can show the most recent 10 frames by limiting each portal to 10 rows. A more detailed scheme with a portal filter can also be used, but we'd need to see more details about the data your are recording in the details table before we could suggest much in terms of a filter expression.

• 2. Re: Multiple Portals on Same Layout different filters
            zosodp

I do have the relationship setup like you indicated. I have each record timestamped, so I can sort in desending order to get the most recent frames.

I don't know why I didn't think of doing that (I am use 2 portals on the screen we enter the statistical information on to display updated overall statistics for each bowler and the last 5 frames bowled).

Thanks

• 3. Re: Multiple Portals on Same Layout different filters
              philmodjunk

I don't know why I didn't think of doing that

You may have had a built in blind spot from your prior experience with Access.

Don't know if this is still true, but in the versions of Access I used to use, this type of layout design wasn't possible as Access didn't permit using a "subform" (the access version of a portal) on a list of records type form, only in a form set to display one record of a time like in FileMaker's form view.

• 4. Re: Multiple Portals on Same Layout different filters
                zosodp

Probably.. I am slowly getting more proficient with Filemaker (I just started using it over the summer). For what we wanted, it was the only real choice. We are using iPads to collect the information at tournaments and transferring it to a desktop for manipulation (which I still use Access for since I have over 10 years of development experience with it).

I am on the 4th version of the Filemaker database and I keep adding new features as other members of the coaching staff provide suggestions.

Hopefully by next season I will have everything inclusive in Filemaker.