6 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2010 1:27 PM by jmoorma2

Multiple Records into One Field

jmoorma2

Title

Multiple Records into One Field

I am a novice working on Windows XP with FileMaker Pro 10.

I have multiple records in a table that I need to be brought into another database in 1 field as separated values. Is this possible and if it is how would I go about doing this?

Also, please let me know if you need any other information from me.

Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: Multiple Records into One Field
          comment_1

If you have a relationship between the two, then

List ( related::field )

should do the job.

• 2. Re: Multiple Records into One Field
            jmoorma2

I have a relationship between the two. How do I do what you are suggesting by List ( related::field )?  The information is being pulled from a portal if this makes any difference.

Sorry, I am really new to FileMaker.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Multiple Records into One Field
              jmoorma2

I was able to make a script as List ( related::field ), but now I do not know how to input it into a field so it works and appears in a box upon entering the database. How do I do this?

• 4. Re: Multiple Records into One Field
                comment_1

It would help to know more about your setup, and esp. what are you trying to accomplish by this. In general, if you have two tables, Parent and Child, a calculation in the Parent table =

List ( Child::Name )

will produce a return-separated list of names belonging to the children of the parent, e.g.:

Adam

Betty

Cecil

• 5. Re: Multiple Records into One Field
                  jmoorma2

I have a list of materials that are being used in a kit in a portal table. I need these to be transfered into a field being listed as spearate items. So for example one kit would include blue yarn, white yarn, and purple yarn. They are all in the portal but on this new database (which is a photo order form) I  need them listed in a field titled, Materials included. I can set the field control but then I only get one item pulled from the portal instead of all three. I hope this helps some with the information.

I do not know how to make a calculation...but I am working on learning right now so I can perform what you are telling me.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Multiple Records into One Field
                    jmoorma2

Ok, I got it to work! I had to make a field within the database I was working and then plug in the calculation that you gave me. Just a bunch of playing around with different things and looking around the database and how other things worked is helpful sometimes.

Thanks for helping comment!!