1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2013 11:50 AM by TaliaCaliva

Multiple records on single page

BillGale

Title

Multiple records on single page

I hope someone out there has time for a rookie that's not even sure he has the vocabulary right.  Now that I have created a record layout and entered about 60 records, I want to print the thing with two to a page.  Can this be done?

Thanks,  Bill

• 1. Re: Multiple records on single page
          philmodjunk

You can set up a layout to use either list or table view to see a list of multiple records on the same page.

• 2. Re: Multiple records on single page
            BillGale

Right.  The Print Preview, though, indicates one record per page.  I should have mentioned a photo is the main attraction.  The table view size is of little use.

Here's a sample of what I would like to double up on in single pages.

Thanks,   Bill

• 3. Re: Multiple records on single page
              philmodjunk

I can't see your example.

In a layout designed for list view, you can size and position the fields as you want them set up and you will be able to see as may records per page as the size of the layout body permits given the settings specified for paper size, orientation, margins, and other layout parts such as a header and footer.

If Print Preview indicates one record per page, either the layout is sized to only permit one record for the current printer setup options or a layout part has been set up to specify a page break before/after every occurrence.

• 4. Re: Multiple records on single page
                BillGale

I have not found where I can set up multiple entries per page, nor did I get very far trying to modify the table view.  I'm afraid I know so little about the program that I cannot even follow your very kind efforts to help.  Just for fun, I have attempted to resend the sample record.

• 5. Re: Multiple records on single page
                  philmodjunk

Do not modify the table view.

You really don't set up "multiple entries per page". You design a layout where the body is much smaller than the page on which you intend to print. Then, in browse mode select "view as list" to see this layout and be able to scroll down through the records. The body can be as small as a single horizontal row of fields or can be larger, such as you need to show a container field with an image in it. When you preview or print from this layout, FileMaker will fit as many records as can fit on a single page.

In layout mode you can drag fields arround, resize them and you can drag the dotted line boundaries between layout parts to resize the parts as needed to get the layout you need.

PS. If you enter layout mode and capture a screen shot of the layout, you can save it as a jpg, gif or png file. Then you can use the controls below Post A Answer to upload the image file as part of your next post.

You might want to open the invoices starter solution and take a look at how it prints an invoice. The layout used for printing an invoice lists multiple line items records in the type of layout I am describing here.

• 6. Re: Multiple records on single page
                    BillGale

I used to have a dog that sensed anxiety and fear in people he approached and it caused it to turn on them.  I think my FilePro comes from the same litter.  I modified my format to cover about a third of the page.  The Preview page looks like a stamped envelope: a small record in the corner and nothing but white the rest of the sheet.  I printing a couple of pages to double check and that is the situation.  Regardless of the size of the record, I seem condemned to settle for one per page.  Any final thought?  I am reluctant to trouble you further.

Thanks,  Bill

• 7. Re: Multiple records on single page
                      philmodjunk

Go to layout mode and capture a screen shot of it. Save it as a jpg, gif or png file. Then upload it to this thread using the controls beneath the Post A Answer box. I need to see this layout in Layout mode, not browse or preview.

You might also check the options specified with printer set up. Are you using a scaling percentage in with a mac or windows 7 system?

• 8. Re: Multiple records on single page
                        BillGale

I have made several adjustments to the layout and printer options, all with the same result:  seemingly plenty of room for a second image on the page, but only one appears.  Perhaps there's a rule I missed that 75 year olds aren't allowed to master this brave new world of electronic magic.  Thanks for your help and patience.

Best wishes,   Bill

• 9. Re: Multiple records on single page
                          philmodjunk

Please post a screen shot of your layout so that I can see it. My previous post gives step by step instructions on how to upload the screen shot so that I can see it. Make sure you are in layout mode when you capture the screen shot.

• 10. Re: Multiple records on single page
                            BillGale

After receiving your instructions, I used the "SnagIt" feature on my Mac (Shift-Command-3) which saves only as a PDF file.  I selected it using the Post a Answer  box and let 'er fly.  Apparently you got nothing.  Today I saved a "Grab" image to Desktop and included that in my last message.  Seems that didn't work so well either.  Maybe I should mail the damn thing to you.

• 11. Re: Multiple records on single page
                              philmodjunk

Take a look at the instructions beneath Post an Answer. A PDF is not a file format that works with these controls. They need to be JPG, PNG or GIF format files. Uploading a PDF or other file format is ignored and not visible in the forum.

Can you save your screen shot in one of these graphic formats and then upload that copy?

• 12. Re: Multiple records on single page
                                BillGale

Did this work?  I saved the layout image to Desktop, then asked Preview (first time visitor) to convert to JPEG.

• 13. Re: Multiple records on single page
                                  philmodjunk

It works, but I asked to see it in layout mode. Seeing the top and sides of the layout window will be very important so I can see the edges. I think you have your body sized too large here and need to go to layout mode, click on the bottom edge of the body and drag it up as high as you can drag it. Then check in preview mode to see what you get.

If all else fails. Find the file sharing site of your choice, upload your file to it and post the download link to it here so I can look at your file.

• 14. Re: Multiple records on single page
                                    BillGale

Here goes.  I expanded the layout to be more single page friendly when I thought we were licked.  But note from the image I sent in its compressed form it takes up very little of the  page.

1 2 Previous Next