5 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2011 9:12 AM by LaRetta_1

Multiple returns in a single report

dgrant1929

Title

Multiple returns in a single report

I have set up a browse table for a cemetery.  I have queried the table for all the graves located within Lot 177.  I get 5 returns.  I have now set up one a layout to report which persons are in which graves.  My layout can take up to ten graves. When I switch to layout mode after querying the browse table, the report has the same person in all ten slots instead of one person in each of the first five slots and nobody in the las five slots.  Can anybody help me with this problem.  Thank you.

• 1. Re: Multiple returns in a single report
          LaRetta_1

"I have now  set up one a layout to report which persons are in which graves.  My  layout can take up to ten graves."

What type of layout are you using?  Form, List, Report with parts, table? You should not be limited to only 'take up to ten graves' so this suggests that you might not be structured properly.

"When  I switch to layout mode after  querying the browse table, the report  has the same person in all ten  slots instead of one person in each of  the first five slots and nobody  in the las five slots.  "

What are slots?  Are they fields or records?  We  need to know how you are structured, David.  Seeing the same name in 10  slots indicates that the name comes from a related table and the  relationship is incorrect.  Is this a portal?  We need more information  to help you through this, specifically table names and how they are  related and whether you have multiple fields holding 'like' information  such as your suggestion of 10 slots.

• 2. Re: Multiple returns in a single report
            dgrant1929

Is there a way I can send the file to you? I am working within the 30 day trial offer.

• 3. Re: Multiple returns in a single report
              LaRetta_1

I have reviewed your file and the 'slots' you describe are as I suspected ... fields instead of records.  Forgive that I am ignorant of what the data truly represents but I'll give it a go:

Your table should be based upon graves (and change its name to Graves instead of record_1) with only ONE grave per record and a field called Lot# where you put the 177 and a field for Section.  You may also want a table for Lots and information about specific lots but we'll skip that for now.  Once you have one record per 'person' who resides in a single grave then you make this work much easier.  Now let's again look at your question:

"I have queried the table for all the graves located within Lot 177.  I get 5 returns.  I have now set up one a layout to report which persons are in which graves.  "

Your first layout shows one person (grave) in a form layout.  Change the name of the layout to 'Burial record'.  It will show all information for one grave.  For you report, create a new report but select Report layout.  In this instance, you don't need subtotals and grand totals so you can uncheck those.  Select your fields for the body (person's name etc and also select Section and Lot).

Then in 'Organize by' select first Selection and then Lot (and watch to your right how the report creates groupings by those fields).  Next it will sort.  The report MUST be sorted by these fields in that order (Section then Lot) or it will not work.  Let FileMaker create this report script for you (it will ask you if you want a script - say yes).  Select a theme and header/footer information if you wish. 

Now that you have created your script, go to layout mode and delete the Section and Lot out of the body - they are in the leading parts above the body.  Move your company heading up into the header part (you can resize it by dragging the line between the body down) and place your blue text in the footer.  Now to see what you have, while in layout mode, select Layouts > Part Setup to see the parts you just created.  Select any of them and then 'Edit' to see the options available.  You can manually create reports, change reports ... but if new, let Report Assistant create the report for you like we just walked through.

"When I switch to layout mode after querying the browse table, the report has the same person in all ten slots instead of one person in each of the first five slots and nobody in the las five slots.  Can anybody help me with this problem."

This was because you had many graves as fields in one record but the name of the person in the grave existed only once for that record.  And this is why a grave per person is the way to go.  :^)

• 4. Re: Multiple returns in a single report
                dgrant1929

LaRetta,

I hope you are not seeing this until Tuesday. I feel completely lost by terminolgy, etc.  I am going to use this weekend to relook at the tutorial and see if I can get myself up to speed with what you are trying to tell me.

My purpose is to create a database which can be used in the table view to find a deceased person alphabetically either manually or using "find". I can then print out a report similar to what I called record_1 in LAYOUTS.

I also want to do a report that will tell me what person is buried in what grave in a particular lot, in a particular section using what I called Record_2 in LAYOUTS.

I have some problems with your explanations, but let me review the tutorials before I comment.  There is a slight outside chance that the problem may be me.  HAHA!

I hope you enjoy your Memorial Day wekend. I will get back to you on Tuesday.

Dave

• 5. Re: Multiple returns in a single report
                  LaRetta_1

Unless one person can be buried in more than one grave or two people can be buried in one grave, there should be one grave per person so you add a new record for each grave and remove the multiple grave fields.  Picture creating a new record for a person and you are simply pointing (by Section, Lot # and Grave #(?) where they reside.

This is the structure.

Then you have reporting which is how you want your lists.  If you use a form layout, it will only list the details for ONE grave per record (what you want with layout 'Record_1'.  If you use a List layout then you can have multiple graves (grouped by section and lot) on a line (similar to your desire with layout 'Record_2').  But first you must get the structure correct - one record in the single table per person.