5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2009 11:57 AM by philmodjunk

Multiple Sheets for One Record

wmixter

Title

Multiple Sheets for One Record

I am trying to create an additional sheet in my record layout. I see that I can create a tab, however, I am failing to activate that tab to link to an additional page for a given record. How would this be best accomplished? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Multiple Sheets for One Record
          philmodjunk

Filemaker doesn't work this way.

You can create new blank records for the table to which your current layout refers and fill them out. But you can't create a new "page" for an existing record. You can also set up a portal linking to a list of related records and can you can create new related records in the portal.

• 2. Re: Multiple Sheets for One Record
            wmixter
               Ok, so can these blank records be a different format and house different information than the original record? How would I do something like this?
            • 3. Re: Multiple Sheets for One Record
              philmodjunk

You can define different tables and link them with relationships. Each table can store different types of information. You might put customer contact information in one table and invoice records in another table to give an example.

You can also create several different layouts for displaying records from the same table but with different formats.

If you give an example of what you want to do, I--or another forum member can suggest a way to do what you want.

• 4. Re: Multiple Sheets for One Record
                wmixter
                   Well, I trying to create a database to archive a bunch of documents pertaining to different projects. So, while I have attached the references document its record, I wanted to have another sheet with attachments to other related documents. Let me know how I could go about doing this with different tables. Thanks!
                • 5. Re: Multiple Sheets for One Record
                  philmodjunk

In addition to the help you can get here, you may want to get a book on the subject and invest some time in learning more about databases. There are also tutorials available.

Define two tables:

Documents // define all fields needed to describe one document.

Include a Document ID field that uniquely identifies each record, the simplest and usually best is to define an auto-entered serial number field.

RelatedDocuments // at least two fields

Document ID

Document // A container field to hold the document or a reference to a document

Relationship:

Documents :: Document ID = RelatedDocuments :: Document ID

The records from the Related Documents table can be displayed in a portal on a layout based on Documents to list any number of related documents.

For a more sophisticated way to link documents, see this thread:http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&message.id=26082&query.id=292297#M26082