11 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2013 1:30 PM by LewisRobinson

Multiple tables visible on desktop

LewisRobinson

Title

Multiple tables visible on desktop

The file for my solution will contain 6 distinct tables, each with under 10 fields.  How do I get them to appear simultaneously on my screen?  3 of the 6 could easily be viewed as portals. 

• 1. Re: Multiple tables visible on desktop
          ninja

Howdy Lewis,

There are a myriad of answers to this, depending on how your tables are related together.  That you mention portals suggests that they are related somehow.  Can you expand a bit on the table relationships?

Some options:

- Multiple windows on screen, each with a different layout

- Layout showing fields from related table

- Portals from related table

- Global fields from unrelated tables

- Script-set variables

Which would be most useful will depend on the table relationships.

• 2. Re: Multiple tables visible on desktop
            LewisRobinson

The notes I took learning about filemaker are the best way to explain the problem.  I am converting some large (50 megaByte) stacks from HyperCard (an old and unspported Mac program which I've been using since '87) to Filemaker Tables

Xref is a table (hyperCard stack), with mostly text (and some control fields)  It contains the following 8 records (among 15,000 others) -- each concerned with a different aspect of Filemaker

Notes, Unanswered  questions, How to do things, Portals, Relationships between Tables, Programming, Best Practice, Programming problems

Index is a table with some text but mostly buttons linking an individual record to various records in Xref (and another table called Glossary which has mostly chemical structures).  The Record named Filemaker in the Index table would have 8 such buttons each going to one of the 8 Filemaker records.  Index has 20,000 records (hyperCard calls them cards) and 50,000 buttons. 

All 8 records in Xref linked to by the Filemaker Record in Index, have a link to the record in Index, and links to other records in Xref (such as hyperCard programming)

Glossary has a lot of chemical structures, so that when something like buckminsterfullerene appears in a record in Xref, a link can be placed to it.

I have found it extremely useful to be able to view a single record in each of these 3 stacks  on the same computer screen.

The next 3 tables (which I plan to see from a portal) are links from Xref, links from Index and links from Glossary.  This should solve the many to many problem, as each link has one parent, and goes only one place, but the links as a group (from Xref say) will go to all 3 tables.  Clicking on a record in the associated link table (through a portal) should be able to navigate me where I want to go, by attaching the appropriate script to a button placed there. 

Thanks for trying to help

• 3. Re: Multiple tables visible on desktop
              ninja

re:  Can you expand a bit on the table relationships?

A picture is worth a thousand words...can you screenshot your relationship graph?

• 4. Re: Multiple tables visible on desktop
                LewisRobinson

It's simplicity itself

Xref is the parent of XrefLinks (which will be viewable through a portal on Xref)

Index is the parent of IndexLinks ( which will be viewable through a portal on Index

Glossary is the parent of Glossay links (which will be viewable through a portal on Glossary)

Then I hope to navigate from the data in each link record to the appropriate record in Xref or Index or Glossary

There may be additional tables -- say for Adresses, Journals read, topics etc. etc.  but they'll be set up the same way

Thanks for your help

• 5. Re: Multiple tables visible on desktop
                  ninja

So if I'm on a layout based on Xref, how does FMP know what the "appropriate Record" is in the Glossary table?

Ditto for Index

If you want it all to show up in one screen, there must be some relationship between Xref, Index and Glossary.

• 6. Re: Multiple tables visible on desktop
                    LewisRobinson

This is perhaps more information than you need, but here are (some of the) the actual fields with the data they contain for a particular record and a particular link.  

First:   the relevant fields for an Index record

ihcID I487966 -- the HyperCard ID

ifmID -- an autoenter unmodifiable field receiving a unique ID from Filemaker

iTitle -- "FileMaker Pro"

Next:    the relevant fields for an IndexLink record

iLfmID -- an autoenter unmodifiable field from Filemaker

iLfmParentID  (same as ifmID)  -- to enable finds

iLText "Relationships between Tables"  -- one of the 8 links whose parent is the Index record "Filemaker Pro"

ilTarget Type -- either X (for Xref), I for Index, G for glossary  -- actually X for this particular linkj

iLfmTarget ID -- an autoenter unmodifiable field given to Xref on creation

iLhdTargetID -- X3616986 -- thehypercard name (unique) for this particular record

So when you click on this particular record in the portal of the IndexLink there will be a button on this row called GO which has a script saying something like

Go Field Xref::X3616986

Perhaps preceded by a Go to Layout (Xref, Index, Glossary are all in the same file).

Once again, Ninja, thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Multiple tables visible on desktop
                      ninja

Lewis,

You're doing great at listing many details.  Now let's work on what you are trying to achieve and how to get there....

The thread topic is "Multiple Tables Visible on Desktop".  From this I assume you want multiple tables visible on the desktop.  Is this the case? (Y/N)

If so, all of the tables you want visible have to be related to the table the layout is based upon....are they? (Y/N)

Your last post seems to say that clicking a button on one layout which takes you to a DIFFERENT layout where other information is shown is OK.  This is not the same as all showing at once.  Which one are you after?

If jumping from layout to layout is OK, you'll need a way to define what record you want to see in the new layout...how is that defined?

• 8. Re: Multiple tables visible on desktop
                        LewisRobinson

Ninja: thanks for the quick response.  Somehow I wasn't notified by EMail about your latest answer.  So I went looking for it today.

At this time the only relationships I've decided to include (some of these tables haven't even been set up yet) are

Xref (parent) --> XrefLinks (child)

Index (parent) --> IndexLinks

Glossary(parent) --> Glossary links.

So I guess the answer to your question is no.  I want to click a button on one of the link tables and go to a completely different table,  In the example given above I'd want to go from IndexLink to Xref

A second (unrelated) question -- when I try to run the only script I've been given I get what looks like the apple command symbol with a period on the lower right.  This usually makes Filemaker hang.  I can't find what the symbol even means.  I can get rid of it (usually) by typing Command + Period.

• 9. Re: Multiple tables visible on desktop
                          philmodjunk

when I try to run the only script I've been given I get what looks like the apple command symbol with a period on the lower right.  This usually makes Filemaker hang.  I can't find what the symbol even means.  I can get rid of it (usually) by typing Command + Period.

That is typical of a script that is taking a very long time (possibly forever) to complete. The Command Period--what the cursor icon is prompting you to press, is the standard means on mac systems for aborting a running script if it has not be set to disallow user aborts.

Chances are that you have a script with one form or another of an infinite loop.

• 10. Re: Multiple tables visible on desktop
                            ninja

K,  So we've got the first one cleared up...It is OK to jump from one screen to another to get the info...good stuff.

When I click the link on the layout to take me to a layout based on Xref...how do I knw what record to land on?

The layout switch is easy...make the button launch a script with a single command:  "GoToLayout [my Xref layout]"

I'm guessing you want to find a particular record there though, so we'll have to put a find function in that script as well.

What is the find criteria?

• 11. Re: Multiple tables visible on desktop
                              LewisRobinson

PhilModJunk

Yup ! !  Thank you very much.  Now to find the bug in the 54 megaBytes of the Hypercard table (prepared by a hypercard script)  that caused it.  I think it's in card #53 of 14,591

If any of you guys are interested in seeing what such a hypercard script looks like let me know and I'll put it up

I do find it amazing that only recently have FileMaker programmers  been able to define variables in script with let.  HyperCard had this  ability at its inception in 1987 ! !  !