3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2010 4:48 PM by philmodjunk

Multiple Text Entries in a Field?

boriszone

Title

Multiple Text Entries in a Field?

Is there a way to put multiple entries into a field such that FileMaker will identify each entry as a separate item?

• 1. Re: Multiple Text Entries in a Field?
          philmodjunk

This can be done, but it's almost never a good idea. It's much easier to work with your separate entries by storing each value in a related record. All these related values can then be displayed and edited in a portal.

If the above approach doesn't work for you, please explain why.

• 2. Re: Multiple Text Entries in a Field?
            boriszone

Thanks PhilModJunk!  Good to know.  Here's my issue.  I'm an agent for several clients.  These clients may have overlapping customers.  I want to track related clients for all customers.  For example, Customer X may be a customer of Client 1, Client 3 and Client 5.  I was thinking I would simply create a field that contained each of the client names for a particular customer so that I could do reporting and search on customers by client.  Thoughts?

• 3. Re: Multiple Text Entries in a Field?
              philmodjunk

Yes use related tables. If a customer may be a customer of more than one client, use a joint table to implement the many to many relationships.

Clients----<Client_Customer>-----Customer

You may even find that clients and customers should be in the same table so that a client may also be a customer.