8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2015 7:40 AM by philmodjunk

Multiple time frame for several items with flag.

DawnKrueger_1

Title

Multiple time frame for several items with flag.

I work for a Printing service and need to ensure all jobs are scheduled properly from one area of the shop to  another to make sure they are completed by the due date from the customer.  I am working with a Filemaker Pro 12 database and need to create a method that would automatically flag a job if it is not on track. 

Example: a business card comes in and needs to be typeset this would be (1 day), the next step would be printing the item (1 day), next step would be cutting (1 day) which would complete the order.  This is only for business cards, as there are many other items that we print as in envelopes, letterhead, booklets, etc and all would need to have different time frames with their quantities and don't know where to start.

I am already using the countdown method for a general time frame from the date received and the due date, but how would I go about getting a seperate time frame for each item, depending on their quantities as well?

Would I have to create a seperate table for all the items, quantities and the time it takes to complete?

Thank you in advance

• 1. Re: Multiple time frame for several items with flag.
          philmodjunk

You would definitely need a table where each record would document a different step in the production process. Each could be linked by a common Job ID to a record in a Job table.

• 2. Re: Multiple time frame for several items with flag.
            DawnKrueger_1

So if I created it as the example below and have each field flagged if doesn't have a date in the Printing and/or Bindery fields:

Item                   Qty             Typesetting   Printing       Bindery  

Business cards 250-500         1 day         1 day           1 day

Letterhead       500-1000        1 day        1 day          1 day

Letterhead      1000-2000       1 day        2 days        1 day

NCR 2 part       500-1000       1 day       1 day           2 days

NCR 2 part      1000-2000      1 day       2 days         3 days

NCR 3part       500-1000       1 day        1 day           2 days

NCR 3part      1000-2000      1 day         2 days         2 days

Only thing I am unsure of is how I would link this table to new jobs being logged in.  How would the system know how to read from the table in order to get the correction item and it's quantity, being there are several different quantities and binding options?  Is this an advanced process within the program?

• 3. Re: Multiple time frame for several items with flag.
              philmodjunk

That's not quite what I had in mind. What I am suggesting would look like this, with a Job ID number as the first column:

Job ID     Phase          Time     Date Due
              1             Typsetting         1         2/8/15
              1              Printing            1         2/9/15
              1              Binding            1         2/10/15

This would be linked to a Jobs table where you have one record for each print job.

• 4. Re: Multiple time frame for several items with flag.
                DawnKrueger_1

Actually this won't work because each job that comes in can be totally different, as in quantity of order, number of pages, binding options, color copier, black and white copier, or press.  What do you suggest would be the best way to proceed?  I am looking for due date field to flag once order is 1-2 days prior being due to go to next phase in the printing process.  Then be able to run a report and the jobs due would come up.  Thank you in advance.

• 5. Re: Multiple time frame for several items with flag.
                  philmodjunk

I don't see how the objections that you raise prevent my suggestion from working. Each job would be set up by creating a new record in the Jobs table and filling out the steps of that job by adding records like those shown in a portal. If certain work flows are basically the same steps but different quantities, you can save yourself some work by using a script to setup at least some of these details with a single mouse click, but that's strictly an option to consider, not a requirement for using this process.

• 6. Re: Multiple time frame for several items with flag.
                    DawnKrueger_1

Sorry I am new to the program and still feeling it out and not sure how to perform some of these functions.  Thank you so much for understanding and being patient with me.  I am going to try and wing it and see if I can get it to work. Wish I understood the program better.  Thank you again very much :)

• 7. Re: Multiple time frame for several items with flag.
                      DawnKrueger_1

We are currently using a numbering system for each new job and loading the details of each one into the database.  I am unsure how to how the phases and due dates flag within the time frames alotted.  :(

• 8. Re: Multiple time frame for several items with flag.
                        philmodjunk

Can you explain where and how this creates a problem for you in more detail?

I can certainly explain this process in more detail, but I'm not sure where this currently doesn't track for you so I'm not sure where to focus my efforts in that explanation.