1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 10:57 AM by philmodjunk

multiple user data entry for contact information

JudyKingsbury

Title

multiple user data entry for contact information

Hello,

I use FileMaker Pro for managing volunteer records, and want to find a way to allow volunteers at some of our big events update their own records. Currently, volunteers sign in on paper rosters, and then I or another person enter that data into the database. It would save a lot of time and effort (including deciphering hard-to-read names & addresses because of sloppy handwriting)

If I use FileMaker Go on an iPad, this could be possible, it seems. The challenges I see are: 1) making it easy for a person who volunteers often to find his or her record to add hours each time of volunteering; 2) making it easy for a new person to create a record complete with name, address, and date & hours for this episode of volunteering; 3) allowing the first two without risking integrity of whole database (how to prevent accidental modification or deletion of other volunteer records; and 4) protecting each volunteer's privacy.

Has anyone figured out how to do this?

Thanks,

Judy

• 1. Re: multiple user data entry for contact information
          philmodjunk

4) is actually the one that can make or break your system as the accidental breach of your system's security to release contact information to unauthorized users could be catastrophic for your organization.

Each volunteer has to be issued some kind of key that only permits them to access their information. This could be an ID card with a bar code or magnetic strip or they could be issued and required to remember a password for logging on to your database.

Once they have logged on, record level access control can limit their access to just their contact information. See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a description of how to set this up.

Now for the rest of your list:

1) the act of logging in with a password--either entered manually or by swiping an ID card can also identify that user such that a script can find their record and present them with a layout for updating contact information and logging any other info such as hours volunteered.

2) You system can have a button for adding new volunteers. This can take the user to a screen where they can only access the record that they are filling out. The fields that they fill out can include fields for specifying an account name and password that a script then uses to create a new account for them.

3) If items 1, 2, and 4 are set up correctly, this should not be an issue.