1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 6:03 AM by philmodjunk

Multiple Users having troubles accessing fields at the same time from a portal

BrianMoeller

Title

Multiple Users having troubles accessing fields at the same time from a portal

I have created a database to monitor a team through out the day by 2-3 managers.  The employee data is all housed in an employee card that has inform nation like employee ID, job functions, Start time, end time, breaks and lunches.  I have a layout on it's own table that uses a portal to filter the employees by their time out.  One of the fields on the employee card is a notes section so notes can be added throughout the day.  The portal pulls all of the information from fields the employee cad but from different records.

The problem I am having is that when 1 manager is adding notes or any fields for 1 employee the second manager gets an error even if they are editing a different employee's information.  The error is that Manager 1 is editing this record and gives them the option to send a message to that person.

is there an option or a way that I can get around this since they are editing fields for different records.  The only work around so far is that the manger needs to make sure they click out of the fields as soon as they finish, but this is not ideal.  

I have also tried creating a record for each manager so they are not on the same record, but that did not help, my guess is because they are still editing the field that all generate from the same pool of records.

Any advice?

• 1. Re: Multiple Users having troubles accessing fields at the same time from a portal
          philmodjunk

That's not something that should happen and doesn't in a typical FileMaker database. Users are and should be locked out of editing the same record but not different records. You'll need to take a closer look at the design of your system and exactly what is going on at the time a user gets this error message to figure out why this error message is appearing.

my guess is because they are still editing the field that all generate from the same pool of records.

I suggest that you describe that part of your database design in much more detail.