1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 24, 2010 1:32 PM by ninja

multiple users, record ownership, duplicate and modify records

StanByk

Title

multiple users, record ownership, duplicate and modify records

Hi,

I am an absolute Filemaker beginner and have a couple of questions which I can not seem to find answers to.

I am using Version 10 on a PC, but eventually the database will be used mainly on Macs.

I am trying to make an ordering database for a laboratory. The idea is that every member of the laboratory puts into the database what he/she wants to order and dedicated person in the lab will then, once a day or so, order the goods using the in-house ordering system. (this is the lab manager who oversees the budget)

The database is simple and contains fields such as: ordered_by, product, order number, supplier, quanity, price and a notes field.

What I want to achieve is:

a) Each user has its own login (managed to to that)

b) Each user can create records and view/search all the records in the database (managed to do that)

c) Each user can edit/change its own records (but not the records of others) until they have been ordered by the lab manager, then this record should become read-only for all the database users (don't know how to do that. Can I set a tickbox for the labmanager, who has admin rights on the database, to make the record read-only?) 

d) Each user should be able to search and reuse records, without touching the original record. In the process of reusing an old record, the user should have the possibility to change it, e.g. change the quantity. Since we often order the same stuff, once it runs out in the lab, it would be very convienent to just select it from an old order and then reuse it. (don't know how to approach this either, I tried to make a script which duplicates the order. E.g. once the user has found a button, he/she can klick on "Copy order",and modify it or not.)

Sorry for all these questions...

Any help I could get would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Robert

• 1. Re: multiple users, record ownership, duplicate and modify records
          ninja

Howdy Stanbyk,

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like you're self teaching fairly well, so let me just point you in the right direction.

For record-level access privileges, do a search on this forum for "record level access".  There is also a good explanation of what you want to do in the FMP help.

Tag each record with the person who made it (Autoenter: Get(AccountName) )

These access privileges should allow 'view' of all, but 'edit' of those where (1) the creator field = Get(AccountName) AND (2) the OrderedOn field is blank (OrderedOn = "", or Isempty(OrderedOn) )

When the Lab manager orders it, have the ordering process include entering a timestamp into the OrderedOn field { Get(CurrentTimeStamp) }

Now folks can see all of them, but only edit ones that they wrote and that haven't been ordered yet.

For duplicating, have a script that looks like:

Duplicate Record/Request

SetField [ OrderedOn ; "" ]

.....and have this script run with FullAccess privileges (to allow them to edit the OrderedOn field)

Lastly, make the orderedOn field non-enterable in Browse Mode so folks (Lab Manager) can't erase it manually.