3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2011 11:04 AM by Sorbsbuster

multiple value choices, repeating fields?

margotjacqz

Title

multiple value choices, repeating fields?

Hi I am new here and to fmp (11). my old office had a database built with fmp3, and somewhat upgraded over the years. now they have closed I am starting fresh and have a pretty good start except for the above. The business is recruitment and one element that is important in candidate records is noting specific skills or talents which might be a find criterion. I think our old app used drop down lists and repeating fields, but I can't find anything in the current user's guide or here that helps me understand how to set these up, or if this really should now be handled differently.

As an example: I'd like to select by Indusrty, Languages and/or Software, two lists that are not going to be fixed (new software, add languages as spoken rather than start with the UN list). People might have none, one or multiple values on these skill lists. My cleint might want a chinese speaker with 3dStudio, or a photoshopper with german, a hotel designer with spanish, etc

What is the preferred way to manage this sort of record keeping?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: multiple value choices, repeating fields?
          Sorbsbuster

This sounds like one of the very few times that a repeated field looks like a good answer.  Normally the answer would be a checkbox, but I accept your point that the value list may change quite often.  You could have all the skills listed in the same, long, field, although I think you should list them as one field for languages, one for...[whatever other broad categories you have].

I feel like a maverick suggesting you use a repeated field as storage for normal data, but my defence would be that you never want to list that skill as a record by itself: it is always used to call up it's 'mother' record of the candidate.  Also, you have a manageable limit to the number of separate skills you are prepared to list.

It would also limit you to not being able to find those people whose skill is Spanish and only Spanish; ie: they have no other listed skill whatsoever.  But I can't see why you would want that particular search.

You would not be able to sort by it, either, but again I don't see why you would want to.

• 2. Re: multiple value choices, repeating fields?
            margotjacqz

Thanks. Now the question is how to create them in layout. The users guide included with my copy of 11, makes a reference in the text and then apparently has excisied the instructions section and the very term from the index. I can go back to an earlier manuaal, or follow the options when in the app, but have learned to ask: Anything to be especailly aware of?

btw your usage assumptions are all correct, having a more or less consistant list is for a first sort of necessary requirements, not needed for any formal report usage etc.

• 3. Re: multiple value choices, repeating fields?
              Sorbsbuster

Just set the field on the layout, then in Inspector - Data Tab, just select the number of repetitions and whether to display horizontally or vertically.  Nothing else I'm aware of to watch out for.