AnsweredAssumed Answered

Multiple values in one text field?

Question asked by MarkObbie on Mar 7, 2014
Latest reply on Mar 7, 2014 by MarkObbie

Title

Multiple values in one text field?

New user. Reading and watching all the tutorials, but I'm in way over my head and struggling to understand just a fraction of what this application can do. 

Here's my immediate issue:

I imported an Excel file and the fields and data all appear fine (although with tons of blank cells that I don't know how to clean up). I'm using text fields to list people by name, affiliation, and -- most important -- fields of expertise. That is likely how I'll search, so that all experts on a given topic appear in a list when I run a "find" query in the topics field. Most of the people I list have more than one topic of expertise. I do not understand how to list their multiple topicsl in separate entries so that they appear in a "find" query of the topics field for any one of their topics. 

I thought about starting over using a contacts template in starter solutions, but that would be a ton of data re-entry and the converted Excel list is almost there, but for this one glitch (my need for multiple values, or entries, under one field called topics). 

Sorry if that's not clear. If I could explain it more clearly I probably would be able to understand the help files and tutorials!

Outcomes