1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 5, 2015 8:57 AM by SteveMartino

Musician trying to be techno savvy

BradyMassey

Title

Musician trying to be techno savvy

If anyone is willing to help, I am a band director who has used FileMaker Pro for a while.  I've got tons of databases, but would like to learn how to maximize what I have.

I would like to have my student information database link each student with their financial account.  For example, I have a good database for my kids' info, but have to use a separate database for all aspects of my program.

I would primarily like to link each student with a ledger that is unique to himself.  I could post debits and credits, and since it would be linked to my student database, would be able to access their financial records from within the demographic table.  

Is there a relatively easy way to accomplish this?  I've been reading the forum posts on inventory and other topics, but have not seen one dealing with this specific question.

Thanks so much to anyone willing to help!

• 1. Re: Musician trying to be techno savvy
          SteveMartino

I don't understand "...tons of databases..."   Are they all FileMaker databases?This should all be in one database, with separate tables, all related.  You can use external databases and relate to tables, or import the info into new tables.

Basically you want to add tables into the student database, or add the student database table/records into the accounting database.

You could have

Students primary key (serial number) linked to Ledger with a field Student foreign key

Ledger should be linked to 2 Line Items Tables (one for Income, one for Expense

So that would be Ledger pk (serial number)  to Income_LineItems fk (join table)

And the Income_LineItems should have a fk linking to an Income Table.

Repeat for an Expenses_Line Items table.

It may be much simpler to look at the Invoices starter Solution and their relationship graph