3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 9:16 AM by philmodjunk

Must close and reopen to print?

Quahogdiggah

Title

Must close and reopen to print?

I've been dealing with this for some time now (as in years). In order to print a file I must close filemaker and reopen it. I have tried about everything and I just can't get it to print without restarting. I put it on "records being browsed". Anyone have an answer to this most annoying problem?

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Must close and reopen to print?
          philmodjunk

This is not typical behavior for a FileMaker Pro database file.

Can you describe what you are doing in more detail?

• 2. Re: Must close and reopen to print?
            Quahogdiggah

I'm not sure what I can offer that would help. I use FMP for Submitting a "Request for Payment" form. When the form is complete I click File then Print, The Print window comes up and I select "Records Being Browsed" from the top drop down, Select the page number(s) I need to print and then click print. The print window then closes and I briefly see a pop-up that I can see it counting through the files then it closes and nothing happens. I can do this over and over. If I close the program and reopen it I can print with no issues.

Thank you for taking the time to help!

• 3. Re: Must close and reopen to print?
              philmodjunk

Your database is crashing when you attempt to print. This could be due to a damaged file. Even if not caused by a damaged file, the crash could damage your file. It could also be due to a printer driver for your printer that is, for some reason, not compatible with your version of Filemaker.

Things you can try:

Try recovering the file and see if any problems are reported. Even if no problems are reported back by the recover, a number of things get "reset" by the recover process so test the recovered copy and see if it has the same issue.

If you have access to a different printer, try printing to it.

Check the printer manufacturer's website for any updated copies of the printer driver for your printer. Download and install any such if they have one available.

Try using Save As PDF or printing to produce a PDF file and see if you can then print the PDF--which uses the PDF reader application to interact with your printer instead of FileMaker.

Try creating a small simple FileMaker Database file and then try printing from it. If it prints to your printer without issue, the problem is most likely with your particular file.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
              3.           Recover does not detect all problems
              5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
              7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).