4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2009 11:14 PM by davidhead

mutilple values

royalmigthy

Title

mutilple values

hi friends

my requirement is like this. For example i have 10 fields like contact 1, contact 2..... contact 10. in a table called Contac

hi friends

my requirement is like this. For example i have 10 fields like contact 1, contact 2..... contact 10. in a table called Contact Management. Now in the same table i create a field called show_contacts. here in this field i need all values of contact 1 to contact 10 should be display as dropdown and i want select one of the value in the list.

Is it possible . Please help me. My client requirement is like this. I thinking it is not possible.

please help me whether it is possible or not

Thanks

Prakasht

• 1. Re: mutilple values
          Orlando

Hi Prakasht,

This does not sound like an ideal way to have your data setup, but to answer your question try this. 

Are you trying to display all values from all 10 contact fields, across all records?

If so you just need to create a calculation that lists the values from each Contact field in the table and then reference that field in a value list.

So first off create a calculated text field called 'cContactList' and set the calculation as follows:

List ( 
          contact 1 ;  
          contact 2 ;  
          contact 3 ;  
          contact 4 ;  
          contact 5 ;  
          contact 6 ;  
          contact 7 ;  
          contact 8 ;  
          contact 9 ;  
          contact 10 ) 

Click 'OK' and get out of the Manage Database window.

Now create a new value list 'File > Manage > Value Lists...' and click 'new'

Title the value list 'ContactSelect' and tick the option for 'Use values from field:' and a new dialog will pop-up

In the left hand field select the 'Contact Management' table and select the 'cContactList' field

Make sure 'Include all values' is selected and click 'OK' and 'OK' and 'OK' again.

Now in Layout mode on the field you want the pop-up list attach, double click on it and next to 'Display as:' choose 'Pop-up Menu' or 'Drop-down List' and from the 'Display values from:' choose the 'ContactSelect' value list and that should do the trick.

I hope this helps .

• 2. Re: mutilple values
            raybaudi

Hi Orlando

practically the same answer that I give him in his previous post:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            royal migthy wrote:

For example i have 10 fields like contact 1, contact 2..... contact 10. in a table called Contact Management. Now in the same table i create a field called show_contacts. here in this field i need all values of contact 1 to contact 10 should be display as dropdown and i want select one of the value in the list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a calculated field with this calculation:

List ( contact 1 ; contact 2 ;..... ; contact 10 )

Then create a value list with values coming from this field.

• 3. Re: mutilple values
              royalmigthy

hi orlando

i did wat u said. wat its not working. i create a list vlaue but the valuelist doesnt have any  values. if i select a field as dropdown .. the field shows empty drop down else in popup menu its showing no defined values.

please give email id to contact personally. I think this requirement violating database concepts.

please help me in this regard other whole project to be stopped.

thnaks Prakash

• 4. Re: mutilple values
                davidhead

royal migthy wrote:

I think this requirement violating database concepts.

I think your data structure is what is violating database concepts. To have a series of fields like contact 1, contact 2..... contact 10 suggests that you should be using a separate table with related records. I think that any solution you come up with is a band-aid approach to getting the right data structure.