AnsweredAssumed Answered

Mutiple User Access Rights for a Layout

Question asked by NaturSalus on Sep 14, 2011
Latest reply on Sep 14, 2011 by NaturSalus

Title

Mutiple User Access Rights for a Layout

Hello,

I am in the design stage of my next project and need some advice about how to grant selective user access.

Let's say that I have Form A, based on Table A, that contains fields to be filled in by different people, based on their user access priviledges.

There are two coexisting scenarios:

• Form A with several fields that are grouped in sections. Each one accessible according to the user access privileges. For example:

Form A Section 1 can be filled in by all users.

Form A Section 2 can be filled in by user with supervisory access level.

Form A Section 3 can be filled in by user with managerial access level.

• Form A with several fields that are grouped in sections. In this case, a section accesible can be accessed by 2 o more users with different access priviledges. For example:

Form A Section 2 which is accesible only by users with supervisory access level, could also have a Manager Approval field only for users with managerial access level.

If I got it right, user access is controled by: File -> Manage -> Security:

• Privilege Sets
  • Accounts

As I understand it, FM Edit Privilege Set allows to control Field access for ALL the fields in a particular Table, but doesn't allow you to pick wich fields of a table are accesable and by whom.

Concerning Scenario 1, the only way that I can think of assigning selective user access for Table A fields is to split it into 3 layouts, one for each user access level. But I don't know if later on I will run into trouble when trying to put together a report for all the Sections and fields of Form A ( table A).

Is there a better way to do it?

In relation to Scenario 2, I don't know of any way to grant different user access levels on the same layout.

Any ideas about how can I do it?

Thanks 

Outcomes