3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2012 9:26 PM by philmodjunk

My database is corrupted..  all backups are corrupted for two months...  help!

ToddFerguson

Title

My database is corrupted..  all backups are corrupted for two months...  help!

Database is 160mb.  Has about 20 tables..  largest table is about 10000 records.

When I do a relookup update, the system has been saying that 8 files can't be updated.  Those files are "?" (literally ? in the fields.. all fields).   They cannot be deleted.   I tried exporting all data and re-importing to no avail.

Then tried the recover command..  "Says sorry file is corrupted and don't use.."

Then tried saving as a smaller file...    Same problem upon relookup update.

Then tried saving as a clone...  And tried recovering the clone.   Same result..  "don't use"

Any ideas?  Runs my whole business, people are relying on me.   I'd even pay someone to help me understand how to fix the issues.

Perhaps there is a way to verify which layout, or files are corrupted?  I looked at the log file.  Ha ha ha..  written by a scientist I think.

Thanks SO much for the help.

Todd

• 1. Re: My database is corrupted..  all backups are corrupted for two months...  help!
          philmodjunk

Question marks in all the fields are a known issue but one that can usually be fixed without having to recover the file:

For More Information see:     Phantom Record, damaged file message, Recover can't detect a problem

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

There is another known issue that can result in recover telling you "do not use" when the file is not damaged at all.

Try opening the recover log and see what was "changed" during recover. If it is a layout, note the name of the layout, go to that layout, enter  layout mode, select all objects and ungroup them. (Use a copy of the file as this will disable all buttons on this layout). If you can recover this copy of the file without getting the "do not use" message, see the link below:

FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?

If that does not resolve the issue, you can open a copy of the file that is more than two months old (if you have one). Use save a copy to save a clone of the database, then use import records to import all records from your most recent recovered copy. Of course, this discards any design changes that you have made to your database in the last two months, but it's better than starting all over from "scratch".

• 2. Re: My database is corrupted..  all backups are corrupted for two months...  help!
            ToddFerguson

THANK YOU!

Perhaps you can fix the other initial problem that precipitated this mess..  so I don't jump off the roof?!

Expanation:

A part of my database is the importing of external .csv data files produced daily from one of our vendors.

We use lookups (I understand there is a better way now..  but it's far to engrained to make changes now)...  

Anyway, we use lookups to pull data to link different tables together.  In over a year never had an issue until the problem above came about (now solved)**, what precipitated this mess was the current file that has the "? problem now notifying me after an import...  

"3878 total error(s) occurred during this operation.

3878 record(s) could not be modified because they were in use by other users or your privileges do not allow you to change them."

Figuring I better solve the "?" problem minimally..   

I went back to a previous db file that had the "?" problem, posted and YOU helped me in seconds fix that issue.   

I'm hoping:

Perhaps if I can fix the file with the 3800 problems, then I could fix the "?" in the same file, = I didn't lose anything.  Which would be NICE!

Any ideas?  does my rambling make sense?

Thank you VERY much

** still says I shouldn't use the file, but works great and no more "?")

• 3. Re: My database is corrupted..  all backups are corrupted for two months...  help!
              philmodjunk

I would never use a file if recover says I shouldn't. In the case i referred to above where a grouped object with different alighments trips this as a spurious warning upon recover, I'd ungroup the offending objects and confirm that recover now reports OK to use--just to make sure that there are no other issues with the file.

The error message you are reporting doesn't tell me enough to know why it was reported. I also don't know exactly what you were doing that produced this error message. Perhaps an Import records with one of the "update" options?

If you can provide a bit more detail, perhaps someone can spot the source of the problem.