3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2013 11:16 AM by philmodjunk

My fields slide...their field labels don't.

Thea

Title

My fields slide...their field labels don't.

I'm using FileMaker Pro 11, and am having an issue with sliding empty fields from my print outs. In truth, the fields themselves slide just fine...but I cannot get their field labels to slide as well. Is there a way to do this? 

In my screenshot below, you can see what I mean. This preview shows that my empty fields slid, but the field labels remain. 

Slide.gif

• 1. Re: My fields slide...their field labels don't.
          philmodjunk

The text you have in field labels will need to be placed in fields that are empty when the field they label is empty.

Say you have a field named "Fruit". You'd define a calculation field as: If ( Not IsEmpty ( Fruit ) ; "Fruit" ) and set it to have text as its result type. Then, on your layout, you'd find and delete the layout text "Fruit" and replace it with this calculation field that you can now set to slide up just like the Fruit field.

• 2. Re: My fields slide...their field labels don't.
            Thea

I think I need a little more explanation; I attempted the above recommendation by choosing File > Manage > Database, and selected the Fields tab. I selected the first field, which is called "Name", changed the Type from Text to Calculation, clicked Change, selected Text as my Calculation Result and entered the following Calculation:

If (  not IsEmpty ( Name ) ; "Name")

It changed every record under the field Name to Name, Stage to Stage, and so on. I'm surely missing something. 

(Sorry for the boneheaded question; I feel like this is something basic I should grasp but am somehow missing it.)

• 3. Re: My fields slide...their field labels don't.
              philmodjunk

You need to add more fields as calculations. You don't want to change existing data fields into calculations. These are calculations set to display the same text as your layout text that labels a field, but only if the field it labels has data in it.