8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 8:55 AM by Mirel

MY FIRST STEP IN CONSTRUCTION ESTIMATING SOFTWARE

Mirel

Title

MY FIRST STEP IN CONSTRUCTION ESTIMATING SOFTWARE

Hey there!

When I grow up, i'm going to work in the contruction field, so for that I'm getting prepaired with Filemaker...

What I want to create is a small database that could give me the ability to put in some dimensions and have the totals at the end, and later an overall total. But I don't need a portal (even if I'm not able to realize one yet :)), because I need to have a variable number of fiels, who could also extend on multiple page. I've put an image that should worth a thousant words...

Hope somebody can help, I would apreciate a LOT !

dynamic fields

• 1. Re: MY FIRST STEP IN CONSTRUCTION ESTIMATING SOFTWARE
          Orlando

Hi Mirel

The dimensions you add, are they grouped to a specific project or build, or do you just want to enter all your dimensions and add all of them together?

If you do not want to use Portals, which if you are grouping them by a project, then you could view your records in List View and have a calculation to total the width, length and hight and then a Summary field to give you a grand total, adding up all the Totals.

So you will need the three input fields in your table, adn your Total calculation

Width ( Number )

Length ( Number )

Hight ( Number )

Total ( Calculated Number )

Then you need to add a field GrandTotal and specify the Type as "Summary".

Now when you hit "Create" a dialog will appear called Options for Summary "GrandTotal"

In the area titled 'Available Fields' select the Total field and make sure to the left it is set to "Total Of" and click 'OK' 

Now in your layout place the width, length, hight and Total in the body section and set it up to be the hight of the field.

And place the GrandTotal field in the Footer under the Total and place some headings in the Header and when viewing the layout make sure you are in List View 'View > View as List'

Now when you want to input a new line, hit  + N for a new record and input the values.

This is the most basic way of achieving what you requested.

Let me know if his does the trick or if you want the records grouped, in which case you would be best using a portal.

• 2. Re: MY FIRST STEP IN CONSTRUCTION ESTIMATING SOFTWARE
            Mirel

Thank you very much for your reply Orlando!

Actually, the "feeling" that I want is the same as in the samples that come with filemaker, the one for invoicing. The only problem is that the portal they have put inside there has a fixed number of rows and I don't know how to extend the portal on multiple pages dinamical.

Do you know if there is a way to make a portal whith variable rows, depending on the content? And how did they achieved to create automatically a new row in the portal as soon as you enter the date?

• 3. Re: MY FIRST STEP IN CONSTRUCTION ESTIMATING SOFTWARE
              Orlando
                 Which version of FileMaker are you using?
              • 4. Re: MY FIRST STEP IN CONSTRUCTION ESTIMATING SOFTWARE
                Mirel

Filemaker 10 in italian. This is the example I am talking about. "giorno" is a date field, as soon as I select a date, it creates a new row under the last one in the portal. Do you have this example? Fattura oraria means hour invoice.

That is what I would like to have, but instead of showing the scroll bar on the right, I would like it to expand, even on multiple pages.Fattura oraria

• 5. Re: MY FIRST STEP IN CONSTRUCTION ESTIMATING SOFTWARE
                  Orlando

Unfortunately what you want is not the way portals work. You could combine this screen with List view to display records as you describe, but you need to change the base table occurrence of the layout to be based on the TO for the related records, and you can run into issues with having wrong records in your list to the header record.

I have modified the template to demo this for you, you can get it here:

http://idisk.mac.com/opellicano-Public/FileMakerForum/TimeBillingMod.fp7?disposition=download+7701 

Is this more what you are looking for?

• 6. Re: MY FIRST STEP IN CONSTRUCTION ESTIMATING SOFTWARE
                    Mirel

That could be a solution orlando, but my project will be more complicated than that wich constrains me on using the detail view. Let me make an example:

-----------------------------------------------------

Appartment 1, ceilings

1 x 2 = 2

2 x 2 = 4

5 x 5 = 25

Appartment 2, ceilings

1 x 1 = 1

5 x 5 = 25

6 x 4 = 24

Appartment 2, floors

1 x 1 = 1

5 x 5 = 25

6 x 4 = 24

and so on...

• 7. Re: MY FIRST STEP IN CONSTRUCTION ESTIMATING SOFTWARE
                      Orlando

Yes that would be more complicated.

Unfortunately as I mentioned what you are looking for is not possible with Portals, and list view could cause you problems with what you are viewing, as you pointed out.

What is the main reason you do not want to use portals, I think that would be the way to go, and maybe if I can get a better idea as to why you do not want to use portals then we can come up with another solution.

I also missed out on answering your question:

And how did they achieved to create automatically a new row in the portal as soon as you enter the date? 

This is done in the relationship graph, when setting up a relationship between two tables you have the option of "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship"

When this is set there will always be a blank records after the last record in the portal that when you enter informality into any field will create a record, as long as the relationship is not setup to use calculations as the key on the side you are creating the record.

• 8. Re: MY FIRST STEP IN CONSTRUCTION ESTIMATING SOFTWARE
                        Mirel

Again, thank you for your kind answer. Look, i'm going to prepare a image of what I REALLY intend to achieve. I wanted to post the project in different topics because I thout that this way others will find what they are looking for faster.

A presto!