5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2013 12:36 PM by philmodjunk

My Summary Counts are Not Working

bokenrosie

Title

My Summary Counts are Not Working

I'm trying to report on a guest list that I have created for an event.  I have a field called RSVP Status that can be "No", "Yes", or "Yes + 1".  I have created a calculated field called "RSVP Count" that correctly gives me a value of 0, 1, or 2 depending on the answer.

When I create my report sorted on RSVP Status the "Yes + 1" folks are only totaling 1 each when they should equal 2.

Is there a way to fix this or at least multiply that resuting field in the report to reflect the right number?

Thanks

• 1. Re: My Summary Counts are Not Working
          SteveMartino

Can you put up a Screen shot of your report in layout mode? In the report are you using Total of or Count of on a summary field?

• 2. Re: My Summary Counts are Not Working
            philmodjunk

I have created a calculated field called "RSVP Count" that correctly gives me a value of 0, 1, or 2 depending on the answer.

When I create my report sorted on RSVP Status the "Yes + 1" folks are only totaling 1 each when they should equal 2.

Those two statements appear to contradict each other so I'd check first to make sure that your calculation field is really returning the number 2 (not text) and then that you summary field is correctly summarizing this calculation field and not the original "yes, no yes + 1 field.

• 3. Re: My Summary Counts are Not Working
              bokenrosie

I suspect Phil is right.  How would I check this?  I have a calculation of:

Case (

Thursday Dinner RSVP="yes";1;
                   Thursday Dinner RSVP="yes+1";2;
                   0)

on my calculated field for headcount.
              • 4. Re: My Summary Counts are Not Working
                bokenrosie

Oh, and the "Calculation Result" on "Specify Calculation page" says "Number" for Calculation Result

• 5. Re: My Summary Counts are Not Working
                  philmodjunk

Look at the field in Manage | Database | Fields.

Is it of type number with an auto-entered calculation or is it of type calculation?

If of type calculation, double click the field to open up the specify calculation dialog. Make sure that "Number" is selected in the result type drop down.

Then look at your summary field and double click it. Does it compute the total of your calculation field or the total of Thursday Dinner RSVP?

PS, the field name, Thursday Dinner RSVP, suggests that you have many different fields in one record for this type of data. If so, then you should consider setting up a table of related records for this data as it can greatly simplify the design and function of your database.