1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 3, 2012 9:10 AM by philmodjunk

N00B question - How do I have multiple fields populate from MySQL when one field is populated?

V

Title

N00B question - How do I have multiple fields populate from MySQL when one field is populated?

Heyas all,

I'm pretty newb at Filemaker, so I hope you'll forgive if this is a silly question.

I've just figured out how to create a drop down list that is pulled from a MySQL database via ODBC.  But I can't seem to find out how to have other fields populate from data in the rest of the record.  For instance...

I have a series of people with records in MySQL.  I need to check in and check out equipment to these different people.  Using the Inventory starter database as a base, I've figured out how to pull a given persons first name from MySQL via a dropdown list, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get additional information to populate based on the value in the dropdown.  I'm trying to get their last name, phone number, email address etc. to automagically appear once the first name is populated.

Can someone give me a big red pointer sign --->> LOOK HERE! or somesuch?

Thanks all.

• 1. Re: N00B question - How do I have multiple fields populate from MySQL when one field is populated?
          philmodjunk

Unless you have a very small list of people, selecting by first name would seem very problematic. Couldn't you get two people with the same first name?

I'm assuming here that you have a FileMaker table where you have defined your field with the drop down. If so, you need this relationship:

FileMakerTable::PeopleID = SQLTable::IDField

Your drop down list would be set up as a 2 field value list with SQLTable::IDField in field 1 and A Name field from SQLTable in field 2. A field that combines first and last names would be a better option than first names I would think and I'm not sure how you would add that here since the data comes from the External SQL table. This assumes that there is an ID field (not a name) that uniquely identifies each person in the table.

With this setup, selecting a name, enters ths associated ID field and creates a link between the current record in your FileMaker table so that related data from the SQL table can be displayed or copied into your FileMaker table. Which is the best option for you depends on how you need to use this data and what should happen if the information for this record in the SQLTable should be edited in the future.

Here's a link that provides details on both methods: Auto Fill