1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 13, 2010 9:03 AM by philmodjunk

n00b to FMP and trying to grasp head around it... Please Help

ChipGettler

Title

n00b to FMP and trying to grasp head around it... Please Help

So As I said in Subject.. I'm new to File Maker Pro. I've seen and heard abot it in the past, and fgured it might fit our needs perfectly..

The question I have is, This is a DATABASE.. so where does the data get stored???

Second question, I currently have a bunch of NEEDED data in a MSSQL database. I've learned the import process, so does Importing those in to the File Maker Pro now mean that they are NO LONGER connected via ODBC to the mssql server?

I guess what I'm trying to accomplish is to have ONE repository where I can update product numbers, users can add notes about products, and tasks, and this all end up to be synced with a SQL server.

By Importing am I dong thsi the wrong way? Do I need to connect or link to it somehow?

If I do the linking, any changes the users do to allowed fields, will that change be reflected in SQL? or does this all still reside in a FMP database?

Also we do nto own the server version, as we will ony have 3 users ever connecting to the website to modify.

Thanks I look forward to learning more and more

Chip

• 1. Re: n00b to FMP and trying to grasp head around it... Please Help
          philmodjunk

"The question I have is, This is a DATABASE.. so where does the data get stored???"

It's stored in tables you define in a database file or file(s) you create--just like anyother database system.

Second question, I currently have a bunch of NEEDED data in a MSSQL database. I've learned the import process, so does Importing those in to the File Maker Pro now mean that they are NO LONGER connected via ODBC to the mssql server?

That depends. If you just import the data into filemaker tables, then you haven't set up any ODBC link to the MSSQL tables. Filemaker can, however, serve as the front end to tables in another database system via ODBC. That's not something I've needed to do in one of my projects but it can be done.