1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 1:39 PM by philmodjunk

Name Lookup with Multiple Table Occurrences

TurtleKoala

Title

Name Lookup with Multiple Table Occurrences

I am trying to create a name lookup for a database with an Employee table and a number of related tables. The two that I will focus on are Feedback and Projects. I am basing the name lookup on PhilModJunk's SimpleNameLookupDemo. I am creating two occurences of my Employee table, one which links to the other tables by Employee Name, and the other which links by a surrogate key. This works well when I use the lookup for a single table, but when I try to use it for two tables I get the error that says that there can not be more than one relational path between any two tables in the graph.

Is there a way to tell it to let me to do this?

Do I need to create a new table occurrence of Employee for each name lookup?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Name Lookup with Multiple Table Occurrences
          philmodjunk

FileMaker won't let you set up relationships where the path from table occurrence to table occurrence forms a circular path.

You'll need separate occurrences of Employee of at least one of the two relationships

These relationships should work:

EmployeesbyID 1----<FeedBack>-----EmployeesByName------<Projects>-------EmployeesByID 2

On the other hand separate sets of occurrences all around might better serve keeping your relationship graph in order in terms of the Anchor Buoy method: