9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 3:34 PM by philmodjunk

Name summery

Forgedbyfire

Title

Name summery

My problem is I have a list of records and I want to create basically a alphabetic summery field that I can then us to illuminate a tech's name.

I basically have a list view of my records for that day that have the the techs I have assigned to them. I then would like to illuminate a simple label using conditional formatting to indicate that a tech has been put on a list that way no one is forgotten. I have can light 1 to 2 names at a time if you are on the record that contains the name you are looking for but ignores all other tickets. I would like to simply compile a list of all techs in a summery and then use conditional formatting to check and see if the name is on it. It is just a simple way for me to visually make sure every one on my list is assigned. Ultimately If I could make the label change as the employees change that would be ideal, but I have no problem creating them and deleting them as the come.<!-- POLLS -->

• 1. Re: Name summery
          philmodjunk
             This should be fairly easy to set up but the devil is in the details. Can you describe the tables and relationships you are currently using?
          • 2. Re: Name summery
            Forgedbyfire

For this particular situation I have 1 table with the service tickets in it and another that contains the tech names. I simply use a drop down list that references the the tech names list. I store the value in the service ticket due to the fact that we are constantly changing techs and I didn't want a ex employee listed in the drop down box.

I would also love a temp list that would allow me to see any temp guys I may have available that day. That to me is a simple task linking a value back to itself.

I can provide a sample PDF of my relationships and or other relation info I can give.

The bottom line to my need is a way to the condition of a particular field throughout of all records being browsed.

• 3. Re: Name summery
              philmodjunk

"I basically have a list view of my records for that day that have the the techs I have assigned to them."

Is this a list of techs or a list of service tickets?

Do you sometimes assign more than one tech at a time?

What date/time fields do you have on your service ticket records?

It should be possible to set up a relational link from your tech table to your service ticket table that includes the Tech's ID number or name (tech number is better) and also includes some date and time references so that only tickets that fall in the specified date or time range are related.

Once you have that relationship, a list of all your technician records with a global field or two loaded with the desired date(s) can be set up whith a calculation field and some conditional formatting to produce the desired effect.

• 4. Re: Name summery
                Forgedbyfire

In my initial design I used the tech number and a relationship that would store the Tech Id number and show the name. The problem is when a tech is deleted from the list only the Id number remains. The reason I would have to delete a name is, I use this list in a drop down format to populate a field named tech in the Service Table. I can easily go back to the old way as needed.

When I say list view: I basically have a list view of my records from my service table. On that list view is a header with a few buttons. To search I have a field that is representative of the "Date Scheduled". To find the records I want I have a script that will enter find mode, I enter the date, the appropriate records are returned and then sorted by my criteria.

• 5. Re: Name summery
                  philmodjunk

"In my initial design I used the tech number and a relationship that would store the Tech Id number and show the name. The problem is when a tech is deleted from the list only the Id number remains. The reason I would have to delete a name is, I use this list in a drop down format to populate a field named tech in the Service Table. I can easily go back to the old way as needed."

There are other ways to handle this if you want. You could mark a technicians record as "no longer here" or some such for former employees. Then their data remains. You could also set a lookup that copies the name over to the other record so the name remains after the technician record is deleted.

The rest of your post confuses me.

If you are listing records from your service table, how do you expect to see which technicians have NOT been assigned to a job for the day? Wouldn't you want a list of all available technicians with related fields displaying what jobs have been assigned to them for the day? That way any technician without an assigned job will be easy to spot as there will be nothing in the related "job" fields. If you assign multiple jobs to a given tech, you can list them in a portal on this layout.

• 6. Re: Name summery
                    Forgedbyfire

The layout I deal with is modified version of the main service layout, it  only has a small summery of ticket, Technician, Laborer, Type of call and the date scheduled. I can pick a date and get the run down of the days tickets and the assign techs to them.

In the flat paper version of this we simply highlight the techs we use. I am trying to mimic the flat version of this to keep the employees the use the paper version from going back to the old antiquated ways.

• 7. Re: Name summery
                      philmodjunk

Quoting from your original post: "I then would like to illuminate a simple label using conditional formatting to indicate that a tech has been put on a list that way no one is forgotten."

If a tech has been "forgotten", how, in your paper form, do you highlight someone not on your list because they haven't been assigned a job?

• 8. Re: Name summery
                        Forgedbyfire

The simple way I was able to pull this off was through conditional formatting. I was able to highlight the techs label when I click on the records they were assigned. The problem is it only applies to a single selected record. So for example If mike is on a ticket and I am on the particular ticket I have selected.  Mike's label is highlight in yellow. I do this by saying if tech = Mike then highlight the label. The problem is when I have all the tickets for that day up and I am not on that record the mike is on the label in not illuminated.

I apologies if my intentions are not clear.

Is there a way I can send at least a PDF to give you a visual representation of what I am talking about.

• 9. Re: Name summery
                          philmodjunk

Post the PDF to a file share site and post the link here if you'd like.

I think I'm starting to visualize what you want, but I don't see how this tells you whether a tech has not been assigned a job or not if you are basing your layout on the job records.