2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2013 8:51 PM by LynneaKleinschmidt

Names question

LynneaKleinschmidt

Title

Names question

I created a FileMaker Pro 5 database for organizing old family photos several years ago.  I have printouts of the records and want to take up the project again.  I know what information I want to include, but I don't understand how to duplicate one thing.

In the old program, I had a complete list of full names of people who appear in the collection of photos.  Next to each name was a box. I put a X in the box when the person appeard in the record (i.e., in the individual photo).

Having this list of names and the X in the box certainly saved in data input problems.

How would I replicate this in FileMaker Pro 12?

Would it be possible to search on the names  in the list and retrieve the records in which they appear (i.e., have the X in the box?

OR

Is there a way to create a master list of names and then add a name "on demand" without having to input each name to a record?

Any help on this problem would be appreciated.

Lynnea

• 1. Re: Names question
          philmodjunk

The answer to all of your questions is Yes.

You can define a value list of the people in your photos and use that value list to format a field with check boxes so that you can select people as shown in a given photo.

You can use that field to find photos of a person in a find, but as in FileMaker 5, be careful of searching for someone who may have a similar name such as searching For Fred and getting Fredrick Jr.

And you might find it useful to set up a table of people--your "master list" and linking it to your table of photos with a join table so that a photo record can link to many people and a people record can link to many photos.

Photos----<Photo_People>------People

Photos::__pkPhotoID = Photo_People::_fkPhotoID
               People::__pkPeopleID = Photo_People::_fkPeopleID

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

• 2. Re: Names question
            LynneaKleinschmidt

Thanks so much for your quick reply.

The operative phrase was checkbox.  Thanks also for the tip re the table of people.  I'll certainly do that.

Lynnea