1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 22, 2012 10:28 AM by philmodjunk

Naming issue: storing container data externally

MichaelLawrence

Title

Naming issue: storing container data externally

I've got a FMPro database that pulls an image from a security camera into a container field. I'm using the 'store data externally' option for container fields under the field options tab. The issue I'm having unfortunately is that we would like to have the date and timestamp in the filename.

I know that the 'Export Field Contents' option will let me be more specific to the filename but if I rely solely on this function to store the data, I'm forced to unlick the 'store data externally' option which makes all the images I'm inserting with the 'insert from URL' function store internally, which makes my database huge.

I know its something I can put in the Open storage dialog box, but I anytime I put the date in there the fact that the date contains forward slashes messes everything up.

• 1. Re: Naming issue: storing container data externally
          philmodjunk

Insert the image twice. Use Insert from URL to insert the image into a container field with global storage specified. Then use export field contents to export the file to a temporary location, using this step to name the file the way you want it to be nameed, then your script inserts the file into the designated external storage container field from this temporary location and it will now have the desired filename.