1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 7, 2014 1:24 PM by philmodjunk

Navigating record to view in portal

KenPorter

Title

Navigating record to view in portal

In a nutshell, I'm looking to advance the record being viewed in the portal by one each time the record in the form layout is advanced by one.

Less nutshell:  I'm attempting to create a Form layout which will display one record (essentially a list of fields) side by side with the same fields from the next adjacent record in the found set.  In this way, (using a unique ID key, and associated filters & sorts) I can have pairs of duplicate records - or more importantly "near duplicates" grouped together in the found set.  Now I'm looking for an ergonomic way for a human to compare the records side by side and decide which one stays, which goes, or which, if any field contents should be copied or moved from the right side to the left. 

I've gotten as far as portal which shows related records from "Contact Management 2" which in the Manage Database | Relationships window, is a duplicate of my main "Contact Management" table.  I can get the portal to display the fields I want.  I'm confident I can get field values to move back & forth as necessary.  What I'm missing is how to navigate the record in the layout and the record in the portal in parallel/sync, but keeping an off-by-one relationship. 

If this isn't making sense, let me know and I can try and elaborate some more...  If it is making sense, I'd be appreciative of ideas on how to make the magic happen.

- K

• 1. Re: Navigating record to view in portal
          philmodjunk

I would think a list or table view of your data would work better as a way to effectively compare data from one adjacent record to another. This allows you align the fields of one record to another to make it easy to compare them.

But to do what you want is possible. Say you have a unique ID field in your table such as an auto-entered serial number or Get ( UUID ) value.

You could define a calculation field, cNextRecordID, as GetNthRecord ( UniqueIDField ; Get ( RecordNumber ) + 1 ) and set it up as an unstored calculation.

Then this relationship:

YourTable::cNextRecordID = YourTable 2::UniqueID

can work for your portal.