2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2015 5:09 PM by AnantJoshi

Navigation from one Layout to another Layout on click of a button to display data

AnantJoshi

Title

Navigation from one Layout to another Layout on click of a button to display data

I have a layout (Ex: appone) with 20 fields. I create a new record and click of a button to navigate from appone to another layout (apptwo) , I require to display four fields in apptwo (details saved in appone) and later save all the details into a table on new record in apptwo.

I was able to navigate to apptwo using script and using global variable display the data from appone to apptwo but after new record addition the data is not getting cleared. I have also tried using a portals in apptwo, but apptwo does not display the current record but displays the first record data. Please let me know the best solution.

• 1. Re: Navigation from one Layout to another Layout on click of a button to display data
          philmodjunk

I must gently suggest that you invest some time learning how FileMaker and relational databases work. Your description of your issues reveals a significant lack of understanding of how to use FileMaker.

I was able to navigate to apptwo using script and using global variable display the data from appone to apptwo but after new record addition the data is not getting cleared.

A "global" field is a field that will store the same data no matter what record is current. You can even delete all records from its table and a global field can still show the data entered into it. If you want to see different data in a global field, your script would need to be designed to update that field with different data.

But what you describe need not use any global fields. If the two layouts specify the same Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? name in Layout Setup | Show Records From, you can simply place fields from the first layout on the second and the data you see on the first layout will show in these fields in the second layout. But this answer assumes things about the design of your database that may not be correct.

You can also link the table for the first layout to the table for the second layout and then the relationship can make it possible to show the data from the first layout one the second. A portal also relies on a correctly set up layout, but is normally used to display multiple records all linked to the current record on the layout where you placed your portal.

• 2. Re: Navigation from one Layout to another Layout on click of a button to display data
            AnantJoshi

The two layouts depends on two tables.  I have written my own scripts for the navigation to the new layout. Thanks for your  immediate and prompt reply.