5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2015 1:38 AM by johntweedy

Need a Booking Calendar / Year Planner

johntweedy

Title

Need a Booking Calendar / Year Planner

Hi 

Looking for a Booking Calendar / Year Planner tool to use in a Filemaker database

Hope someone might be able to help.

I'm trying to find a booking calendar  plug-in for Filemaker

(or help / tips on how to build what I need IF a plug-in doesn’t exist)

I’m looking for a “booking calendar” in the style of a ‘year planner’.

The context?
      I run a small holiday property business. There are 50 properties and the objective is to secure bookings from holidaymakers for each property.  When answering calls / email queries from prospective holidaymakers, it’s essential I can see ‘at a glance’ which weeks are already booked and which stillare available.

Currently, I show the bookings for each property on an ‘electronic’ year planner on a (very old!!) Psion 5 MX handheld PDA (the rest of my IT is all on a PC but this booking calendar is on the old PSION).

Bizarrely, the Psion software for my current year planner was a seldom used, little known part of the ‘diary’ feature in the bundled dairy (agenda) software which was on all the Psion 5MX handheld PDA machines.  It was PERFECT for my needs! However as Psion handhelds are gone forever…  I need to migrate to a PC solution … A solution whereby I have, built in to a Filemaker dbase  a year planner / booking chart for each and every property .

In terms of the appearance of this booking calendar / year planner I’m searching for, what is important, is that Arrival and Departure dates for each booking (simple date fields which I would already have entered as part of another basic Filemaker field)  then become ‘automatically’ displayed on the year planner as an "occupied" date period for example …. as a red highlighted section of the year in question…showing that the property is occupied for those dates.

There would be a separate booking calendar for each property.

The other requirement is for me to be able to click or hover on that red occupied section and then see the info telling me which client is booked into that property, for how long, how much they paid, their mobile phone number and their email address)  - again,  this would all have been data which I would already have entered into other basic fields in the FMP database

Note:
      What I’m looking for is a feature commonly available to advertisers on some of the major rentals listings websites on the Internet (for example HOMEAWAY or HOLIDAYLETTINGS or TRIP ADVISOR) ..  so ….the ability to define an arrival and departure date and then have a database automatically convert that to a year planner ‘visual’ certainly exists …..My problem is that I need it to exist in the environment of filemaker.

So, my question is ...
      Can anyone tell me if they are aware of a year planner / booking calendar which would be able to satisfy my requirements? Or, if you don’t know of an existing ‘off the shelf’ plug-in, is there a FMP developer out there who would be interested in creating this plug-in for me ?

MANY THANKS FOR TAKING TIME TO READ THIS LONG POSTING.

john

• 1. Re: Need a Booking Calendar / Year Planner
          philmodjunk

I don't see the need for a plug in as regular FileMaker features can be used to construct such a planner.

• 2. Re: Need a Booking Calendar / Year Planner
            RickWhitelaw

Build it or buy it I figure.

• 3. Re: Need a Booking Calendar / Year Planner
              johntweedy

Hi Phil thanks for your reply. As a novice user. I wasnt aware of which features within Filemaker would enable this to be done (defining arrival and departure dates is fine - even I can do that - but linking those to a 'visual' resembling a regular year planner didnt seem so easy. Any pointers as to which features of FMP would be used to do this? Many thanks    John

• 4. Re: Need a Booking Calendar / Year Planner
                philmodjunk

As I recommended in your other post, if you are going to build your own, break your project down into smaller "sub projects" and post specific questions about each. That makes it easier for forum members to post suggestions without committing to a major portion of their time helping you design the entire system top to bottom.

Here are two example files, one for FileMaker Pro and one for FileMaker Go that may be helpful to you in very small measure:

A very simple Calendar demo file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8d03xvwe8vtz85/Calendar.fp7

This file is in the older file format so you will need to open it from FileMaker 12 or 13's File menu to convert it to the newer file format. It shows a typical "Calendar format" for displaying information associated with specific dates using portals and relationships.

An improved "date picker" for use in FileMaker GO:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78737945/DatePickerPopoverDemo.fmp12

It uses a slide control inside a popover button to produce a month of dates in a calendar format. Swipe right or left to move to a different month. Tap a date to enter that date into the date field associated with the popover button.

• 5. Re: Need a Booking Calendar / Year Planner
                  johntweedy

Hi Phil 

Thanks for those two links - I'll take a close look at them.  
                  Taking your advice, I'm breaking the project down into smaller chunks.

With that in mind, can I ask, would there be a script which might help in the following task:

- Two of the fields in the database relate to the booking dates for each holiday property. These fields are:

a) start date of booking  
                  (b) end date of booking.

Might there be a script which would enable me to "find" all properties which are booked (for any time at all)  between a given 'start' and 'finish' date (and therefore, by way of doing an 'omit' find, would also show the properties which are AVAILABLE between those same dates). Note: The search would need to throw up properties which, although their bookings might have started before the 'start' date of our 'find' criteria, have a 'finish' date which falls inside the range of our search criteria.

Thought I'd ask this question because I'd seen a couple of very useful replies you'd given to other members involivng similar (although not identical) issues. 

Many thanks