1 Reply Latest reply on May 30, 2012 11:13 AM by philmodjunk

Need advice about data base creation from excel file!

PaulaHundley

Title

Need advice about data base creation from excel file!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to file maker and have been watching the training videos from Lynda .com to try to get me up to speed, though they only have FM 11 tutorials and not FM 12.  I'm working with FM12 pro and I'm debating if I should use a large excel file we have been using to start the creation of our data base or should I create one from scratch.

I'm wondering how does one create mulitple tables and do adequate data modeling to ensure that the data base is setup correctly. i'm not sure how that part works if you just import a larger excel file as it seems to put all the data into one table. I'm still trying to wrap my head around ERD diagrams and what not. This data base is to store information about users and accounts and info associated with them.

Please any direction or guidence is apprecited and please let me know if you need any more information

Thank you

• 1. Re: Need advice about data base creation from excel file!
          philmodjunk

Yes, if you import data from an excel file (or any other file) each import loads a single table with the imported data. If you select the 'new table' option, you create and load that table with data in one operation.

But note that you can import data from just a portion of your spreadsheet and that you can import several times--each time to a different table if you need to load several different tables from a single excel file.