6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 12:33 PM by shae1725

Need Advice on how to build a feature into a Script

shae1725

Title

Need Advice on how to build a feature into a Script

From the attached image you will see I have the Script going to object V2_Button_1

Is it possible to stop the script after this line (will be adding more commands)  until the button is pressed?

I dont want the user to be able to do anything else on the layout until the button is pressed.

The only exception to be the script itself. the first part of the script adds a 1 in increments of 1 to a number field

otherwise I would only be able to add a 1 then press the object button and have to run the full script again

Button_1.PNG

• 1. Re: Need Advice on how to build a feature into a Script
          schamblee

A button performs a script.  So if you need a script to be perform, then use the "perform script" script step instead of making the user press the button to run the script.

• 2. Re: Need Advice on how to build a feature into a Script
            shae1725

I need the user to press the button? It confirms that they are accepting the changes they have made

• 3. Re: Need Advice on how to build a feature into a Script
              schamblee

You would need to set a global variable that the button has been pressed ($$ButtonPressed="T") then when you would check for this variable if it true run your script then set the global variable back to False else exit the script until the button is pressed.

• 4. Re: Need Advice on how to build a feature into a Script
                shae1725

Thanks

That works great and solved a few other issues.

The only thing I worry about is how would you control a $$ from effecting previous records when revisited?

How to developers keep track of all the variables they create? Would FM Advanced be a better option as my project seems to be getting rather complicated!

• 5. Re: Need Advice on how to build a feature into a Script
                  philmodjunk

The same script that checks the global variable can then clear it.

I personally think all people who create FileMaker databases should use advanced to do so. The data viewer, script debugger and database design report are invaluable in both developing a database and in learning how FileMaker works.

But other than the ability to watch variable values in the data viewer, it doesn't add much additional capability for managing global variables.

My advice is to make sparing use of them (so you don't have a large number to keep track of) and to document their use. You can add layout text off the right hand edge of a layout for example or add a "developer notes" table and layout just to document such design features.

And keep in mind that global variables disappear when a file is closed so they only persist from the first time they are given a value until the file is closed. And the variables (and their values) only exist for a single user. If two users access a hosted database at the same time, each user has their own set of variables and values (much like you do with global fields).

• 6. Re: Need Advice on how to build a feature into a Script
                    shae1725

Thanks for the advice

I was holding off upgrading due to the rumours of FM13 being made available some time soon! smiley