3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 1:38 PM by philmodjunk

Need Advice on How to Proceed

BrandeeWoleslagle

Title

Need Advice on How to Proceed

I'm new to Filemaker Pro11, but have already created a simple database with relational tables and a lovely layout, so I have gotten my feet wet.  I am now up against phase 2 of my database creation and I don't know how to proceed as it is a fair bit more complicated than what I have already done.  I need help in WHAT I should do (portals?  Another relational table?).  I can probably figure out HOW to do it once I know the correct approach.

The bottom line is that I want to be able to view the different financial aid scholarships for each of my students for each quarter in which the package is awarded during their tenure.  I don’t want to see data (or blank spaces) for timeframes in which they didn’t attend or scholarships they never received.

The complications are as follows:

• 1.  I have a constantly changing group of current students
      • 2. students attend for different lengths of time (some for 2 years, some as many as 8)
      • 3. Some scholarships are granted each year (for anywhere from 1 to 4 of the quarters during the year); some are only once during a student's tenure
      • 4. specific scholarships aren’t necessarily granted each year or each quarter
      • 5. there are 10+ scholarships which are awarded in various amounts over time and vary among the students
      • 6. no two students are alike in which scholarships they get, or how much they receive from the scholarships

Here is a simplified example of what I would like to see in case I need to be more clear:

Sally Smith attended from 2000-2004.  During that time, she received The Student Scholarship in 2000 and 2001, The Doctoral Scholarship in 2000, The Writing Grant in 2002 and 2003, and The Research Grant for 2000-2004.  Unlike other students she did NOT receive The Standard Grant.  When I pull up Sally’s record I would like to see something like this:

Fall quarter 2000

Winter quarter

Spring quarter

Fall quarter 2001

Winter quarter

Spring quarter

Etc…

totals

The Student Scholarship

$100

$100

$100

$100

$100

$100

$600

The Doctoral Scholarship

$200

$100

$50

$350

The Writing Grant

The Research Grant

$500

$100

$100

$100

$800

totals

$800

$200

$150

$200

$200

$200

Grand total

$1750

I am not overly concerend with the calculation portion yet, thats my next "issue" ;)

If it helps, I already have a database that is filled with student biographical type info, and then a related table that holds multiple exams information.

• 1. Re: Need Advice on How to Proceed
          philmodjunk

Cross tab reports aren't the simplest thing to set up in FileMaker. Are you sure you want to take such a "grid" approach here?

A report in this format:

Student Name
             Fall 2000
                 The Student Scholarship $100
                 The Doctoral Scholarship $200
                 The Research Grant        $500
             Quarter Total:  $800

Winter 2000
                 The Student Scholarship $100
                 The Doctoral Scholarship $100   
             Quarter Total:  $200

and so forth...

Student Total: $1750

Is much, much easier to produce in FileMaker. (Consider how many columns you would need for a student that attends for 8 years...)

If you truly want to take on the cross tab format, it can be done with a set of filtered portals used to display the scholarship amounts in columns. Summary fields defined in the Scholarship Awards table can be used to produce the needed totals down the right and across the bottom.

• 2. Re: Need Advice on How to Proceed
            BrandeeWoleslagle

I don't care if it is a grid or a list as you have it.  I just want to be able to see the info that pertains to the student without extraneous info.  I guess I don't even know the correct verbiage on what this is called in order to be able to look up how to do what I want - I am just too noob.

I also don't need this in a report persay, I want it in my layout, if that makes a difference?

• 3. Re: Need Advice on How to Proceed
              philmodjunk

A report is simply a way of organizing and summarizing your data so that it makes sense to the person reading it. It may be a layout you view while in browse mode or a document (PDF or on paper) that you "print" from that same layout.

Take a look at this tutorial on summary reports and see if it gives you enough help to do what you want. If not please report back here and we'll helpyou some more.

Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial