AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need Advice on How to Proceed

Question asked by BrandeeWoleslagle on Jan 4, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Need Advice on How to Proceed

I'm new to Filemaker Pro11, but have already created a simple database with relational tables and a lovely layout, so I have gotten my feet wet.  I am now up against phase 2 of my database creation and I don't know how to proceed as it is a fair bit more complicated than what I have already done.  I need help in WHAT I should do (portals?  Another relational table?).  I can probably figure out HOW to do it once I know the correct approach.

The bottom line is that I want to be able to view the different financial aid scholarships for each of my students for each quarter in which the package is awarded during their tenure.  I don’t want to see data (or blank spaces) for timeframes in which they didn’t attend or scholarships they never received.

The complications are as follows:

• 1.  I have a constantly changing group of current students
  • 2. students attend for different lengths of time (some for 2 years, some as many as 8)
  • 3. Some scholarships are granted each year (for anywhere from 1 to 4 of the quarters during the year); some are only once during a student's tenure
  • 4. specific scholarships aren’t necessarily granted each year or each quarter
  • 5. there are 10+ scholarships which are awarded in various amounts over time and vary among the students
  • 6. no two students are alike in which scholarships they get, or how much they receive from the scholarships

Here is a simplified example of what I would like to see in case I need to be more clear:

Sally Smith attended from 2000-2004.  During that time, she received The Student Scholarship in 2000 and 2001, The Doctoral Scholarship in 2000, The Writing Grant in 2002 and 2003, and The Research Grant for 2000-2004.  Unlike other students she did NOT receive The Standard Grant.  When I pull up Sally’s record I would like to see something like this:

Fall quarter 2000

Winter quarter

Spring quarter

Fall quarter 2001

Winter quarter

Spring quarter

Etc…

totals

The Student Scholarship

$100

$100

$100

$100

$100

$100

$600

The Doctoral Scholarship

$200

$100

$50

$350

The Writing Grant

The Research Grant

$500

$100

$100

$100

$800

totals

$800

$200

$150

$200

$200

$200

Grand total

$1750

I am not overly concerend with the calculation portion yet, thats my next "issue" ;)

If it helps, I already have a database that is filled with student biographical type info, and then a related table that holds multiple exams information.

Outcomes