AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need CALC for getting subtotal for Categories field

Question asked by brianquillin on Sep 19, 2011
Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Need CALC for getting subtotal for Categories field

I am tracking budget categories that have many budgetlines assigned to one category (ie. Under the Costume category, I will have Character/Actor Names as specific BudgetLines).  I will also have many purchases that will be assigned to those categories (the purchases will not necessarily be tied to the specific BudgetLines but rather to the overall Costume category.

My budget categories are currently stored in a Value List (using Custom Values).

I want to do two things:

I want to Total all the BudgetLines assigned to a Category (meaning I want to obtain the total amount for Costumes, Props, etc).

I also want to Total all the purchases made to a Category (meaning several purchases of fabric, etc. will be assigned to the Costume category).

I am creating a portal that I want to show the Category Name and the Budgeted Amount (my first 'want') minus the Purchased Amount (my second 'want').

***My fear is that because I set up my Categories in a Value List using the custom values I may have made this task more difficult than necessary.  However, I'm having a tough time wrapping my brain around what step to take first.

Thanks in advance...

Outcomes