8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2009 3:34 PM by raybaudi

Need Checkbox Functionality With Invisible Text

illumine

Title

Need Checkbox Functionality With Invisible Text

Checkboxes scripted to work like a radio button (i.e. only one checkbox can be selected from four possible) will satisfy my specific layout need but I don't want the accompanying text from the value list to be visible next to each box.  I am overlaying the checkbox field on top of a graphic created in a separate graphics application which is then imported to the FileMaker layout in question and the standard checkbox with visible values doesn't work and confuses the visual cues I am trying to establish. (for image of layout go the this URL <http://homepage.mac.com/bee13/Sites/TempSite/index.html>).

QUESTION 1: Can a checkbox field with multiple associated values be made to show the boxes but not the accompanying value?

QUESTION 2: If the answer to question 1 is "no," then does a technique exist to manipulate a checkbox field to work in the manner I am looking for?

QUESTION 3: If the answer to question 2 is "no," then what's the best way to create an array of checkboxes with no visible accompanying value text that behave like radio buttons?  My guess is that this will take separate and distinct checkboxes for each element of the checkbox array and a script that runs the lot with lots of "if, then, else if" steps.

Any clues for the most elegant way to do this?  Thanks. 

• 1. Re: Need Checkbox Functionality With Invisible Text
          philmodjunk

I can't see your posted image, instead, I get a dialog popup asking for a password to see it.

I suggest that if you want the "check box field to work like a radio button" that you use radio buttons.

One simple method for hiding the text values of a check box or radio button value list is to change the text color to match the color of the layout background. This works best if you can display the values in a vertical list. Sometimes you can also re-size a vertical list so that only the check boxes are visible.

Other more complex approaches are possible. Most of them use separate fields for each "check box" with scripts/calculations handling the data behind the scenes.

• 2. Re: Need Checkbox Functionality With Invisible Text
            raybaudi

bee13z wrote:

QUESTION 1: Can a checkbox field with multiple associated values be made to show the boxes but not the accompanying value?

Yes.

1) The field must have this calculation into the option of auto-enter a calculated value ( replaces existing value ):

RightValues ( Self ; 1 )

2) You'll need to create many value lists of a single value

3) You'll need to place many occurrence of the same field, each formatted as checkbox with values from a different value list ( point 2 )

4) You'll need to dimention each field to about 16x16 pixel.

• 3. Re: Need Checkbox Functionality With Invisible Text
              illumine

Sorry you couldn't see the attached graphic file.  Try viewing this web page instead.  I think seeing the layout helps to clarify why I don't think the standard grouping of a bunch of checkboxes (or radio buttons, for that matter) in one field with an associated value list will work.

http://homepage.mac.com/bee13/Sites/TempSite/index.html

• 4. Re: Need Checkbox Functionality With Invisible Text
                illumine
                   BTW, I am developing this DB using FMP 10 Advanced on a Mac OS platform.
                • 5. Re: Need Checkbox Functionality With Invisible Text
                  raybaudi

bee13z wrote:

Try viewing this web page instead.

I do not see any problem to the solution posted above.

• 6. Re: Need Checkbox Functionality With Invisible Text
                    illumine

Philmodjunk,

I don't think that using standard checkboxes or radio buttons grouped in one field will work in my layout (see the web page cited in this thread to get a better understanding).   Do you have any recommendations on the script that ties together multiple checkbox fields?

Thanks 

• 7. Re: Need Checkbox Functionality With Invisible Text
                      illumine

1) The field must have this calculation into the option of auto-enter a calculated value ( replaces existing value ):

RightValues ( Self ; 1 )

2) You'll need to create many value lists of a single value

3) You'll need to place many occurrence of the same field, each formatted as checkbox with values from a different value list ( point 2 )

4) You'll need to dimention each field to about 16x16 pixel.

raybaudi,
                      Thank you for the helpful reply.
                      I created 16 separate checkbox fields giving each of them unique names, and narrowed them to 20 x 20 pixels (works with the font size I'm using).  I then placed them in the appropriate locations on the layout.
                      I assume that each value list can simply have a value of 1.
                      I also assume that a script must exist that ties the four checkbox fields in each row together and ensures that no more than one checkbox is enabled at a time.  Do you have any suggestions as to what that script would look like?

• 8. Re: Need Checkbox Functionality With Invisible Text
                        raybaudi

bee13z wrote:
                        I created 16 separate checkbox fields...

Based on your pict, to solve your problem you'll need only one field and four value list ( each of a single value: Immediate, Delayed, Minor, Deceased ).

On the layout you'll position 4 occurrence of the same field, each one formatted to have one of the value lists above.

To see the other 3 ( or more ) rows, you'll create other 3 ( or more ) records and visualize them in list view.