AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help : User Logs into a blank data entry form to create new record only

Question asked by KirinIchiban on Mar 22, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 23, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Need help : User Logs into a blank data entry form to create new record only

I am a beginner with FMP 11.

I've done hours of searching for a couple days, while at the same time fiddling around with the actual FMP database itself. But I can't seem to grasp the concept of what I'm finding to figure out how I would apply it to my situation.

I'll try to keep this simple. I have a Customers table, and a Sales Rep table. There is a SalesRep field in the Customers table that I use to relate the two tables. I've created accounts for each Sales Rep to access the database (but the account name is not the actual Sales rep name). I know it has something to do with defining custom privilege sets, but I can't seem to get it right. What I want is that when a Sales Rep logs into the database, that he/she is brought to a blank New Customer layout form that is prepopulated with the Sales rep's information such as id, name, phone number, etc. I want it so this new customer layout form is the only layout/table/form that Sales reps have access to. The sales rep would simply fill out any new customer information and commit the record. But I want it so that they cannot view or access any other Customer record. The purpose of the form would be for a Sales Rep to create new customer records only, and have that new customer record related to the Sales Rep whose account is loggin in.

Can someone please explain it simply enough so that I can understand the concepts I need to make this happen, and then explain it again in specific details so that I can try to walk through it step by step?

Outcomes