2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2008 4:15 PM by Kundinger

Need help breaking away from Excel

Lust4Kicks_1

Title

Need help breaking away from Excel

Hello...

I have tried many different designs to make this work, and nothing seems to fit, so I'm hoping someone here can push me in the right direction.

The client is a newspaper distributor, who employs carriers to deliver "x" amount of papers each night. The "payroll draw" runs from the 1st - 15th & 16th - 30th or 31st, depending on the month. Carriers are paid from the total papers thrown twice a month.

For example, an assistant, simply plugs in numbers across this spreadsheet until the 15th, where each day is tallied (summed) and then a new spreadsheet has to be made for the following 16th thru 30th (or 31st).

This method works as long as a new worksheet is created for the assistant, however, for the client to be able to look back in time for whatever information, he must sort thru a whole bunch of archived worksheets, etc.

I would like to create better method in FM, where this data can be plugged in and compiled without having to recreate a new excel worksheet, and whenever the client wishes to produce a bi-weekly summary, all he has to do is simply select a date range and it will give him all the throws from each carrier, etc.

Can anyone lend a clue?

• 1. Re: Need help breaking away from Excel
          TSGal

Lust4Kicks:

Thank you for your post.

There are a number of possibilities here.

First, I'm assuming each DAY is logged.  Performing a search on a Date range is easy.  For example, to find November 1-15, 2008, enter Find mode, and type into the Date field:

11/1/2008..11/15/2008

... and press Return.  Only those records in that date range will be found.

If you have any Summary fields, they will give you a result for that found set.

If you are looking for a specific employee/distributor, then also include the name of the employee/distributor as part of the Find criteria.  That is, put the name in the Name field, and the date range in the Date field.

Does this make sense?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Need help breaking away from Excel
            Kundinger

You can easily accomplish this with FMP.  You need to take a little time to learn DB concepts and the basics of FMP.

To that end, I have created a sample file for you to 'explore' and learn the basics...

I hope this helps you and any other interested readers... Good Luck!!!

Kundinger