3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 2:23 PM by SteveMartino

Need Help creating a Database to keep track of an inventory of art works for artist

MattMar

Title

Need Help creating a Database to keep track of an inventory of art works for artist

Hi FM forums,

I am new to FM and the creation of Databases.  I am trying to create a way database to help manage track and list all the work produced by an artist for his records.  There are 6 major bodies of work [Project].  Each has 20 or more photographs.  Each photograph is printed in edition sets.  Sometimes the image has more than one edition set based on the print size of the photograph. { #4 8x10  has 8 editions, #4 18x24 has 3 editions (prints)}. We want to keep track of who each print was sold to as well as relevant info for reference in the future.  The main goal is to have a page that prints that we can look at 1 image and have all relevant data associated with that image to appear with it. So if we look at the image titled #4 we see that there are 2 sets, all of the prints in each set and all of the sales and info on it.  

I am not sure if the best way to make this work is to make a separate database for each project with tables for each edition set?  

What i have now is 1 database with all works and projects listed with all the info i want in one place. I am just curious if there are any suggestions on how to make this work better.   Or any examples of this kind of database for artists and their studios. Any help is appreciated .

Screen_Shot_2015-06-08_at_3.23.12_PM.png

• 1. Re: Need Help creating a Database to keep track of an inventory of art works for artist
          philmodjunk

I am not sure if the best way to make this work is to make a separate database for each project with tables for each edition set?  

That is an approach that is extremely unlikely to be workable in a FileMaker Pro database. You need a table of projects with one record for each project that you then link to table with one record for each edition set (all editions over all projects). Each edition set record would then link to a table with one record for each photograph.

• 2. Re: Need Help creating a Database to keep track of an inventory of art works for artist
            MattMar

When you say link what do you mean? establish a relationship on the graph or some kind of portal or button?

Each edition set record would then link to a table with one record for each photograph.

Each photograph in the Edition Set? or a table with all individual photos?  Thanks for your help

• 3. Re: Need Help creating a Database to keep track of an inventory of art works for artist
              SteveMartino

As someone who is still fairly new, I think the first approach is to get a little more educated.  The fact that you are getting tripped up by simple terminology & structure will cause you major headaches as you build this database.  Including, but not limited to:

Completely rebuilding, probably more then once-hopefully in the beginning.  But some people get very far 'down the rabbit hole' and will easily lose weeks/months/years on a necessary rebuild when they realize they didn't set everything properly.

Loss of data--never good

Severe frustration-spending hours or days on something that as you gain experience/knowledge, you could do in minutes.

Coming to the forums will get you excellent help from the extremely talented and knowledgeable Phil, (who has helped me probably dozens of times, directly, and thousands of times by reading all his posts), and others.  But you have to start with more then, how do I build a 'fill in the type here' database?

Here's what I did, even though the temptation to just start building is pretty over whelming. I succumbed, and learned a valuable lesson.  The first rebuild was for structure, the second rebuild was for 'now I know what I want'.  I'm contemplating another rebuild based on upgrading to 14 and 'now I really know what I (think I) want'.

So for education:

FileMaker: The Missing Manual (for your version).  This was the best resource to kick start my knowledge. Work thru the lessons and your knowledge and understanding jumps leaps and bounds.

The FileMaker Training Series for your version (now they have basic-free and advanced-worth it).  Do the samples, and the questions.

And the greatest help to me to learn and understand advanced concepts was the VTC training series-about 40-50 hours of video tutorials. Not that I fully understand, but it does spark ideas.

There are also many videos on youTube.

There are many FileMaker blogs with some of the best in the biz doing some great and unique things.

And last and certainly not least, PhilModJunk's Adventure's in FileMaking Series here, which he wonderfully allows you to download for free is just a wealth of intermediate and advanced techniques that make FileMaker life so much easier.  (You actually get mad when you struggle over something for hours/days, and you discover Phil simply has a straightforward elegant way to solve your problem) Now his knowledge and experience is something someone starting here new will never equal.

The starter solutions also offer insight to design, scripts, calculations, relationships, etc., so you can pick those apart.

All in all, you'll have a much better experience as you learn and develop (dare I say fun?), and when you get stuck, pop on in for some help.

Still learning everyday...

Steve