4 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 12:58 PM by SadaStipe

need help creating a FMP calculation

SadaStipe

Title

need help creating a FMP calculation

I need to create sequential tracking numbers for contracts that I will be creating in an FMP database. However, the contracts will need different amounts of tracking numbers depending on the size of the unit the customers order. For example, a single unit (S) = 1 tracking number; a feature unit (F) = 2 tracking numbers; 1/4 page (Q) = 4 tracking numbers; 1/3 pg (T) = 6, etc.

I'm trying to think of a way to get FMP to generate the tracking numbers for me. There is obviously a lot of room for human error. The other problem is that there may be multiple records for one contract so the tracking number often needs to be the same for each record in the same contract. Instead of marking these records with a regular unit size letter (S, F, Q, or T) they get a * in the contract (S*, F*, etc.) to mark them as additional records within the same contract and not different units (which would be more $$).

I can change any and everything about this but I'm stuck. HELP! Thank you!!!

• 1. Re: need help creating a FMP calculation
          SteveMartino

How are your relationships set up? 

Are multiple records for one contract, multiple orders for one contract for one customer?  Can a customer also have multiple orders that are not based on multiple records .

What does...a single unit (S) = 1 tracking number... mean?  How many digits/numbers?  How does it get a (S) designation?

What determines a 1/4 page or a 1/3 page, number of items or just actual length?

• 2. Re: need help creating a FMP calculation
            SadaStipe

These are contracts/records for advertising space in a catalog. The advertisers are publishers so the products advertised are books. The units equal a certain about of space on each catalog page. Typically it's one unit per title but we create a record for each title. So if a customer orders a feature unit in the catalog that is equal to 2 single unit spots, therefore the contract needs two tracking numbers and the record will be labeled F for feature unit. However, as i said, each title in the order/contract gets it's own record because we have to track materials for each title separately. The first title in a feature unit contract will be labeled F and subsequent titles will be labeled F* and have the same tracking number as F...I did not come up with this system or database and I'm not a programmer but I'm the only person in the office who uses FMP so it's up to me to fix problems with our system and/or databases. The whole thing sounds overly complicated to me but I just don't know how to fix it myself. THANK YOU!

• 3. Re: need help creating a FMP calculation
              SadaStipe

I should have mentioned this as well. In the current process, each unit is assigned one tracking number but on the contract we put in the range of tracking numbers or spaces the unit will be taking up. So, let's say our first customer orders a 1/4 page ad, designated with a Q on the contracts. There will be at least four records/titles in this contract. So if the contract number is 1 then the tracking number for CONTRACT1 will be 1 for all four titles in the contract. However, since a feature unit takes up 4 spots or tracking numbers then the next available tracking number is 5.

• 4. Re: need help creating a FMP calculation
                SadaStipe

I should have mentioned this as well. In the current process, each unit is assigned one tracking number but on the contract we put in the range of tracking numbers or spaces the unit will be taking up. So, let's say our first customer orders a 1/4 page ad, designated with a Q on the contracts. There will be at least four records/titles in this contract. So if the contract number is 1 then the tracking number for CONTRACT1 will be 1 for all four titles in the contract. However, since a feature unit takes up 4 spots or tracking numbers then the next available tracking number is 5.