I took a quick glance at the Time Cards template for FMP 11. It does not have a projects table. I must assume that you added one?
If so, you need to document your current tables and relationships so that someone can suggest how to set up your report.
If not, please explain how you modified this template to support work on different projects.
You're right and thanks for catching me on that. Looking at the starter solutions again, it's actually the Time Billing starter solution.
I made the PROJECT field be a drop down list which pulls information from another table I have of only project names. this is just to control the project naming througout our office workflow.
Hopefully this helps.
Your report layout should be based on time billing line items--the join table between Projects and Time Billing.
You can perform a find on this layout where you specify The Time Billing::K_ID_Employee, the Projects_Name and the date or a range of dates.
This can be done manually or via a script where you enter data into global fields that the script uses to perform the find.
I guess I'll have to just keep playing around with it along with summary fields. I tired that before and tried it again and I am not getting the hours reported that I expect. I wish there was a live preview as you build the report so you could see the results as you make the report, rather then keep starting over.
Thanks for your help.
Perhaps this tutorial on summary reports will help: Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial
It's an old thread so if you read it and have questions, post them here, not in that tutorial thread as posts to it no longer pop the thread up into recent items.
I looked at that. Thank you. I've been tinkering since you posted that with no success. It's just amazing that finding recrods is so cumbersome. One issue I am noticing is that in that fee solution, the portal LineItemsByBillingID does not return the results I want just from doing a simple perform find.
So for example, I'll go into Find mode, type in a project name (that I know exists - only two records) in the LineItemsByBillingID::Project field and perform the find. I just get the same portal window returned rather than a listing of just those two projects.
It's just amazing that finding recrods is so cumbersome.
It shouldn't be cumbersome.
But performing a find will not limit what records appear in a portal. When you perform a find specifying criteria in a field from a related record--whether it is present in a portal or not, you are telling FileMaker "find all records in the main table with at least one related record with that criteria." Then, when you return to browse mode, the relationships that define the portal and any portal filter that exists will control what data appears in the portal--not the criteria you just used in the find you performed.
To perform a find to find records from LineItems, perform the find on a layout based on that table. Then your relationships can work for you rather than against you as you can use such relationships to pull data from related records into this lineitem layout.
You know, there's a built in custom report. I tried duplicating that and adding a perform find in there based on certain criteria, but it didn't work. Perhaps I put it in the wrong place in the script. I was trying to see if I could get it to return just those two projects I put in (on purpose) as a test - no go; ultimately wanting this to be a user prompt for a date range.
Sorely missing DayLite and Billings, but will keep trying.
Thanks anyway. Nothing I seem to be doing is producing any progressive results.
Even Formulations Pro Time Card is giving me problems getting the demo running; funny behavior. Thought I'd try that as it may be more cost effective, but I still want to try to get what I'm working on working.
If you want more help, you'll need to provide some detail such that I can use to help you understand why it's not working.