AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help displaying and totaling

Question asked by DanielPinder on May 7, 2011
Latest reply on May 16, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Need help displaying and totaling

Here's what I need to do, and I'm a little out of my depth.

I have a field where one can enter the initials of people working on the project. Let's say depending on the record, you enter:

DP or JB or AC

What I want to do is:

(1.) For each initial that's entered to be displayed in the footer part in a list of some kind. It would be acceptable for the field to be a value list that you could edit if it makes it easier to do.

(2.) Next to each initial in the list, display the total amount of time each initial garners. What I mean by this is that each record has a length of time associated with it. Below, in the footer, "A" would be displayed as "DP", "B" would be displayed as "AC" and "C" would be displayed as "JB":

Right now, my calculations say something like "if (initials_field = "DP" ; seconds_length ; "") in order to tally the time of each initial, and you can see the 3 totals calcs in the footer. The problem is I have to specify initials using Manage Database and I want the user to be able to enter whatever initials they want and the totals display will be dynamic and update for whatever initials are used.

Is any of this making sense?

THANKS

Outcomes