AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help duplicating records for quoting system

Question asked by user14255 on Oct 27, 2009
Latest reply on Oct 30, 2009 by ninja

Title

Need help duplicating records for quoting system

I'm new to this forum.

I Have been building and using a Customer, rental, sales, invoicing, quoting system database for the 8 months and using it as it grows in scope. Things are actually going well. It is kinda fun, somtimes kinda not. I have found other solutions on the forum. It's great.

Here is my question.

I have a Quote table(many quotes for many clients)

I have a Quote Version table(Many versions for one quote)(many Versions will have many Items)

I have a Item table(Many items will be in many Versions)

I have a Line Item table between the Version table and the Item table.

I add Items to the Line Item table thru a portal on the Version Table form.

So let's say I have 50 items in the Item line table with a Version record primary key attached to each line.

So let's say "Quote 1", "Version 1" has 50 items in the Line table (along with all the other quotes and versions lines)

I would like to duplicate the 50 line items and use them in the next Version without retyping them.

It would Be the Still "Quote 1" but "Version 2" with the same 50 Items.

I want to keep all the old versions also

I'm Stumped. I have learned everything by reading, going to the help, or reading the forums. I'm not a professional but thats why filemaker is great, Even I can build this thing.

The reason for all this is our customers change there minds all the time and we want to keep all the old versions, because they always say "oh just go back to the one from a couple of days ago"

My quote system is currently in an Excel Form, works quite well. There we just duplicate a new speadsheet.  But all our customer are in the filemaker. And I need to get the quote system into filemaker.

Any help would be wonderful. Thank you ever so much

Bryan

Outcomes