5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2015 1:26 PM by philmodjunk

need help Extracting data from a FM file

RaminRowhani

Title

need help Extracting data from a FM file

Hi,

I have a FM database that the first splash screen asks for username and password (designed by a developer) and has been working for years, but recently it's not accepting any the passwords.  we have moved on from that system now and we just need access to the data in those tables.  I need to be able to open the file and extract the data in an excel format, but I can's stop the script that loads the initial splash screen and changes the menu to stop.  I assume I need a the advanced version of FM to do this task which I don't have.  i was wondering if anyone out there is able to help me with this issue.

Many thanks in advance

• 1. Re: need help Extracting data from a FM file
          philmodjunk

The advanced version would not be able to do this without opening the file with a full access password.

• 2. Re: need help Extracting data from a FM file
            RaminRowhani

thanks for quick reply.  I have already removed the main password with full access to the file, but the password I was referring to is a splash screen created in a layout that appears as soon as you open the file. ( This is not the same as usual login screen of FM) it's a designed layout.  As soon as this splash appears, the menu on top also changes to a limited one.  I'm hoping to stop this splash screen appearing (possible by using in debug mode and halting the script) and then I should have access to the file.  I hope i've explained it clearly.  basically I believe the usernames that the splash screen is asking for is part of the design of the database to see which user is logged in and not the access rights usernames associated with the files.  To explain it a bit better: I press the shift key while starting the file and it prompts me for user name and password which I enter and it works and then it loads the splash screen which asks for a different username and password. I need to stop the second screen from appearing.

• 3. Re: need help Extracting data from a FM file
              philmodjunk

And how did you "remove" the main password? If you can remove the password, I don't see why you can't also just open the file and get past this start up script, if by no other method than entering layout mode and selecting a different layout from the layout drop down in the status tool bar.

This doesn't seem to change what I last posted, that you need full access to the file before you can use FMP advanced to open the file and interrupt the script in the debugger.

But you can get such a file open without using advanced if you have full access to the file: Create a new FileMaker File. Create a script in it that uses Perform script to perform a script in the original file. Set it to perform any script other than this start up script. Perform the script to open the file in the background and then use Windows | Show to find and open the file. This should enable you to open the file without being trapped in your start up script.

• 4. Re: need help Extracting data from a FM file
                RaminRowhani

I removed the password by using Filemaker Password Recovery software and it worked well. I also didn't have the option to enter layout mode as the menu was limited and the view option was not there however  your suggestion in creating a new file worked for me.  I created a new file and then I imported the records from the original file and of course no scripts were imported.  So now i have access to all the records which I was after.  thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: need help Extracting data from a FM file
                  philmodjunk

Removing the password via a utility does not mean that you can then open the file with full access. It sounds like you  used the utility to insert a new account and password rather than remove one.