2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2012 11:43 AM by BrianClemens

Need help in grouping sorted fields?  Not even sure this is possible.

BrianClemens

Title

Need help in grouping sorted fields?  Not even sure this is possible.

Example.

"SS" is the brand and the floor plan is "2300"

"FR" is the brand and the floor plan is "2301"

So (2) different brands, but on paper the floor plans are identical.  We use the #1 to designate which floor plan is which.

So in "SS" you have 2300, 3100, 3120.  In "FR" the same exact floor plan is called 2301, 3101, 3121.

My problem is...when I want to see what is the top selling floor plan I would like to group these together (2300 & 2301) since they are the same layout.  Right now I have a script that will pull the best selling floor plan for "XX" model year.  It is sorted by model and it splits those up.  So it counts the number of 2300's and separately it counts how many 2301's.  Is there a way to use some sort of wild card to group those together, or would I need to change all the floor plans to a single number like 2300/01?

• 1. Re: Need help in grouping sorted fields?  Not even sure this is possible.
          philmodjunk

Does the number come from the manufacturer? Otherwise, I don't see the logic in giving the same floor plan different numbers, I'd have SS2300 and FR2300 for different models with the same floor plan. That way I can use just the numeric portion as a common identifier for sorts and relationshps.

You may have other reasons for the different numbers so however you decide in terms of this identifier, you need to give records for the same floor plan a common value so that you can group on that value in summary reports or via a relationship to get the correct grouping and sub totals. This may mean that you add a field in your table where you put this common identifier separate from the brand and floor plan fields that you already have in place.

• 2. Re: Need help in grouping sorted fields?  Not even sure this is possible.
            BrianClemens

That's what I thought...

I have a separate field that shows "SS" or "FR" and it is color coded.  So if I just go through and change all the floor plans to a single identifier "2300/01" I can easily tell which BRAND it is. The more I thought about it the more I think that was the right way.  Your comment sealed the deal.  I'd rather go back and change all the floor plan entries than add a new field to keep track of.

Thanks